Studio 8, a multi-product, multi-disciplinary Design and Research team in Microsoft China, has an opening for an experienced, motivated, and innovative Designer in our Beijing studio.
At Studio 8 we work on a broad variety of Microsoft products for markets around the world. As a member of the design team, you will play a critical role in the product making process for our portfolio of Web-enabled experiences, from Microsoft Forms to Bing Video to mobile search.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate strengths in all stages of product development and be able to drive from definition to ideation to delivery working with local and global partners in design, product management and engineering. She should have outstanding skills in designing interaction and visuals for software and the web.
You must include the URL of an online portfolio with your resume or CV. Please indicate your specific roles and contributions for each project submitted as part of the portfolio.
- Design strategy: Understand and help to implement design strategy and guidelines based on an understanding of user needs, business goals and technical limitations.
- Conception: Work at the early concept phase by participating in ideation sessions, storyboarding, brainstorming, creating user scenarios, and sketching early-stage mockups.
- Interaction design: Produce information architecture diagrams, wireframes, interaction flows, low-fi prototypes and other artifacts required to develop and evolve user experience designs.
- Visual design: Implement the Microsoft visual design language (including grid, typography, color and other design-language patterns) for the products and deliver visual assets (icons, logos, layout redlines, screen mockups, hi-fi prototypes) to development counterparts on time and with quality, in accordance with agile methodology.
- Communication: Effectively communicate design concepts and solutions to peers, and work partners.
- User-centered Iteration: Work with PMs to collect/interpret user feedback, design research, and telemetry and incorporate findings into design solutions.
- Global alignment: Work closely with design counterparts in global teams to align design deliverables and share feedback.
- Agile method practice: Practice a highly efficient, iterative design process with light documentation.
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, Industrial Design, Communication Arts, Information Design, or equivalent education or experience.
- Experience working iteratively with other designers (and product managers as an intern)
- Written and spoken English proficiency is a must, and fluency in Mandarin is a plus.
- Expert level proficiency with common design tools (Figma, Photoshop, After Effects, etc.).
- Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood diagrams, wireframes, and other artifacts.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to make compelling and clear design presentations for varied audiences.
- Passion and skills for taking research findings and translating them into tangible designs.
- Strong design sensibility and attention to detail.
- Strong interest in and aptitude for learning new technologies and design skills.
- An understanding agile/lean methods and modern software development practices.
Benefits and Perks
- Industry leading healthcare
- Savings and investments
- Giving programs
- Educational resources
- Maternity and paternity leave
- Opportunities to network and connect
- Discounts on products and services
- Generous time away