Tapas is the "YouTube for storytellers" — an open-publishing platform and home to a community of more than 58,000 creators. We’ve published over 89,000 stories to date. We specialize in publishing original stories in the form of serialized webcomics and novels. Tapas has 3.3 million monthly unique readers, who collectively spend more than 113 million minutes per month on Tapas. Stories on Tapas have been read over 7.7 billion times to date. About 70% of our audience is female millennials, primarily located in the US, and the Tapas app is one of the top-grossing comics apps on iOS and Android.
Beyond being a premier open publishing platform, we also co-produce original IP with our top creators through Studio Tapas. We then shop these properties alongside our creators to adapt them into the next hit TV series, movies, games, physical books, and more.
Our goal is to help support independent creators by providing easy to use publishing tools, sustainable forms of revenue, and connecting them with readers from all over the world. Not only are we a premier open publishing platform but we also produce our own line of Tapas Original stories.
This is an opportunity to be part of a fast-growing startup company and help shape the future of publishing and storytelling. Tapas has a fun collaborative culture that’s reflective of the creative storytelling business that we’re in.
We’re hiring an experienced, collaborative Art Director for our LA Office, who will manage our in-house Creative team of five graphic designers (three US-based, two in Seoul). As the Head of Creative, you’ll set company-wide standards to evolve our brands, mentor our team, and sometimes pitch in with projects in a hands-on capacity. The US and KR Creative Teams are responsible for internal and external marketing of static and motion assets such as programming requests for both app and web, social media posts, video trailers, pop-ups, improving banner CTR, community engagement assets, brand guidelines, annual promotions and merchandise, as well as lending visual support to various PR and BD campaigns.
What you'll do:
- Lead and mentor a small team of graphic designers in the US (3) and Seoul (2)
- Establish and track OKRs to amplify our brand, level-up our project management and file management systems, and take ownership of performance-based metrics around creative assets
- Juggle multiple priorities for cross-department projects, while consistently meeting deadlines and leveling-up work for all Creative Team members
- Streamline processes, reduce waste, and ensure the team manages time in ways that yield the best return to free up availability for experimental/exploratory projects
- Develop updated brand guidelines for Studio Tapas Originals (comics and novels), Tapastry Community series, and other IP as needed
- Utilize Adobe Creative Suite, Basecamp, Dropbox, Slack, Google Drive, Monday.com
- Have a comprehensive online portfolio showcasing your modern visual design style for both web and mobile, and your ability to ideate and execute creatives
- Our ideal candidate has a strong foundation in graphic design, experience at a digital media company (startup preferred), big picture vision, and project management skills
- Keep up with design trends in the webcomics industry and the media world at large. You have a great eye for design and are passionate about staying on the cutting edge
- Possess humility and a solution-oriented mindset to roll up your sleeves and get work completed—start-up mentality is a must!
- Provide constructive criticism and thoughtful feedback to your team on a regular basis and be open to receiving feedback as well
- Possess excellent communication skills within your team and across departments
- Have an awareness of how Creative fits into the larger organization and team structure
- Understand the challenges of managing a globally distributed team while maintaining cohesive company culture
What we're looking for:
- 6+ years of total industry experience in Graphic Design; digital media preferred
- 2+ years of design team management, with an emphasis on mentorship
- Cross-team experience representing Design in inter-departmental meetings, as well as proactively pitching new ideas to propel the company forward
- Project management, assignment management, file management skills
- Mastery of the Adobe Creative Suite, primarily Photoshop and Illustrator
- Responsive Design experience (a must)
- Social media design: IG, Twitter, Facebook, Youtube (a plus), Tik-Tok (a plus)
- Experience with After Effects, Clip Studio (a plus)
- Print Design experience (a plus)
- Professional or personal background with webcomics, manga, manhwa, and novels
Perks & Benefits:
- Flexible work schedule
- Workdays in M-F lunch allowances during COVID-19 remote work
- Full benefits package with Medical/Dental/Vision insurance, FSA, 401K, and Commuter support if applicable
- Stock options
- Device and ergo/office supply
- Team activities/training/books
- Gym/wellness support
- Company swag
- Compensation is to be negotiated - we pay competitively
At Tapas Media, we’re committed to diversity, equity and inclusion. We believe that the enriched diverse perspectives of our employees, readers, and creators help deliver our unique content. We welcome prospective candidates from all backgrounds, race, ethnicity, gender, age, physical and mental ability, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, culture, language, and education.
Interested in joining our team? We’d love to hear from you. Aside from the normal application process, please share a quick paragraph on what aspects of your experience make you a perfect candidate for this job.