The Zendesk brand is a vital part of our company, and keeping it fresh is an important job. As an Associate Design Director on our Digital Design Team, you’ll lead a group of designers and writers in pushing the limits of what web design can do and should be. This is a highly collaborative role that works closely with marketing partners, product teams, and external agencies to develop and direct Zendesk’s global interactive brand and marketing projects. You bring with you a deep understanding in interaction design with an eye for art direction, UI/UX best practices for the web, strong conceptual thinking and design development, and a passion for scalable design systems.
- Manage and mentor a team comprised of visual interaction and design system designers
- Drive the design of a coherent and consistent user experience across digital touchpoints
- Set a high bar for consistency and quality within projects and help the digital team ship with those standards, without compromising velocity
- Partner with writers, designers, product marketing, and leadership to shape our design vision for brand and customer experiences through Zendesk’s web properties
- Collaborate with Brand Design Ops to define our digital process and drive projects that meet company objectives and reinforce our growth
- Partner with Associate Creative Directors across the brand team to ensure brand identity and message consistency, and quality of work
- Operate as an active listener; capable of translating stakeholder expectations, goals and priorities into strategic design concepts
- Promote and contribute to the expansion and adoption of our web design system, Greenhouse, as an essential tool for Zendesk’s success
- Champion web experimentation design and help to shape the future of data-driven web design for marketing
- Lead and nurture an inclusive team culture, recruit and retain talent
- Represent the brand design team both internally and externally, while building and managing strong stakeholder relationships
- Lead efforts to develop creative concepts and implementations in a cross-disciplinary manner and to establish smart, creative approaches for each assignment
- Champion and generate ideas around innovative and effective digital communications, interface design, and interaction design
The bigger picture:
Zendesk is a fast growing company, and our brand has been a big factor in our success. Through our web touchpoints, the Digital Design Team transforms our brand values and products into clear, coherent, and satisfying experiences that move our potential customers through the Zendesk learning journey without friction.
We need an Associate Design Director who loves looking at user data while thinking about the needs, motivations and behaviors of the audience. The ideal candidate loves to break down and solve complex problems, guiding a team of creatives in delivering high quality work that aligns with business goals and industry best practices. From leadership skills to design craft to process to industry and market trends — our Associate Design Directors are always pushing into the next big challenge.
- 5+ years of experience designing solutions for digital and websites with multiple stakeholders
- Experience managing designers, remote team experience is a plus
- Experience providing mentorship to creatives while still advancing individual assignments and goals
- Deep understanding of web development and web design best practices
- Experience leading, creating or heavily contributing to a design system library
- Proficient in web experimentation, testing, and research methodologies
- Exceptional communication and storytelling skills
- Experience working in-house would be good; B2B/SaaS experience would be great
- Understanding of the intricacies of brand and creative disciplines
- Ability to collaborate and incorporate people from across the team
- Ability to go from high-level strategic conversation to coaching pixel-perfection design with ease
About Zendesk - Champions of Customer Service
Zendesk started the customer experience revolution in 2007 by enabling any business around the world to take their customer service online. Today, Zendesk is the champion of great service everywhere for everyone, and powers billions of conversations, connecting more than 100,000 logos with hundreds of millions of customers over telephony, chat, email, messaging, social channels, communities, review sites and help centers. Zendesk products are built with love to be loved. The company was conceived in Copenhagen, Denmark, built and grown in California, taken public in New York City, and today employs more than 4,000 people across the world. Learn more at www.zendesk.com.
We believe in service. Learn more about how we provide support to our local communities with volunteering, grants and product donations.
Zendesk is an equal opportunity employer, and we’re proud of our ongoing efforts to foster global diversity, equity, & inclusion in the workplace. Individuals seeking employment and employees at Zendesk are considered without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, ancestry, disability, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We are an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled employer. If you are based in the United States and would like more information about your EEO rights under the law, please click here.
U.S. Applicants Only: Consistent with Zendesk’s emphasis on employee wellness and our shared interest in public health, Zendesk requires all U.S. employees to provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19. Zendesk will consider accommodations for reasons recognized by applicable law. Zendesk prohibits discrimination and will not tolerate discrimination based on a person’s disability, physical or mental conditions, religion, or any other status protected by law.
Zendesk endeavors to make reasonable accommodations for applicants with disabilities and disabled veterans pursuant to applicable federal and state law. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to submit this application, complete any pre-employment testing, or otherwise participate in the employee selection process, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with your specific accommodation request.
By submitting your application, you agree that Zendesk may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. Zendesk's Candidate Privacy Notice explains what personal information Zendesk may process, where Zendesk may process your personal information, its purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over Zendesk’s use of your personal information.