Content Creator (Freelance) Away
WritingRemotea month ago
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. In support of our mission, we are seeking Content Creators to join our roster of freelance Away Artists.
Want to help us transform the travel industry?
The ideal candidates have experience in photographic and film storytelling. This will be an exciting opportunity for fresh photographers and filmmakers to engage in up to two productions with us in their home city or another global locale. Storylines per shoot will be developed in collaboration with the existing Away creative team ahead of production and will connect to brand initiatives while remaining authentic and personal to the maker.
Budgets will fall within a set range that will be entirely funded by Away. The bidding process will be a collaboration with each artist who will help manage the budget once in production.
These pieces of storytelling will be used across platforms and bolster our digital, social, and real life brand presence. This Content Creator (Freelancer) will be retained as an independent contractor on a non-exclusive basis, and will partner directly with our Creative Director of Content and Director of Creative Production. Away Artists can be based anywhere in the world—a global footprint is welcomed.
As a company that values diversity, equity, and inclusion, Away seeks individuals of all backgrounds and experiences to apply for this opportunity. We’re creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we’re building a team that is too. Through initiatives like our employee resource groups, Anti-racism training and bias prevention initiatives, we’re building the cultural foundation that gives people the emotional and physical space to bring their authentic selves to work.
Please note that this is a freelance position. Due to the classification of this role as a freelance position, freelancers will not be eligible for benefits or perks provided by Away.
What you’ll do:
- Work collaboratively with Away’s existing creative team to intake briefs for shoots and understand our brand
- Concept and pitch executable stories that are both personal and connect with the brand. Be open to feedback, as ideas will evolve.
- Write director / photographer treatments once aligned on concept
- Learn about the design of our products
- In collaboration with a producer, spearhead production prep: location scouting, casting, prop styling, etc.
- Recommend appropriate lighting and equipment needs
- Share network of creative resources who can be brought on to support the project—including producer if you have an already established relationship
- Work within a set budget
- Photograph / film approved concept
- Organize and edit footage for post-production when possible—editing is not a requirement, but a nice-to-have! Or choose selects and provide a color reference for retouching
- Provide some oversight on post production process that will largely be resourced and managed by Away producers per the needs of the project
Who you are:
- 2+ years photography and filmmaking experience
- 2+ years of production experience
- Experience with audio, lighting, photography and video, both in and outside of a studio environment
- Strong understanding of storytelling–visually and narratively
- Understanding of video editing, added bonus if you can fully edit
- Highly organized self-starter and detail oriented
- Previous experience in social media or digital marketing a plus
- Passionate about transforming travel (but that’s a given!)
Away is a global lifestyle brand with a mission to transform travel through products and content that inspire people to get away more. The company launched in 2016 with one perfectly designed carry-on and has since expanded to offer an array of luggage and travel essentials built for the modern traveler.
Headquartered in New York City, with teams in London and Toronto, Away currently ships products to over 35 countries around the world. Away has been named one of Fast Company’s “World’s Most Innovative Companies” and has been recognized on TIME’s list of “Best Inventions.” To learn more, visit awaytravel.com.
Away is dedicated to hiring diverse partners that celebrate an inclusive culture and a sense of belonging. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, and sexual orientation), national origin, age, veteran status, genetic information or disability.
Away is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.