Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Want to do your best work ever? At IBM, work is more than a job – it’s a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you’ve never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world’s most challenging problems? Then join us at IBM where the best in the industry are passionate about the design of excellent experiences, enabling designers to further develop their skills, experience, and craft, and supporting IBM teams in delivering market-leading, human-centered products and services.
Content designers create and communicate meaning throughout product or service experiences for users and customers. They primarily do this through researching the subject(s), writing, curating, and editing content for accuracy, clarity, and usability. They help people understand the value of IBM solutions and guide users with messaging that helps them achieve their goals across the product experience. They also localize content for specific audiences and markets.
Eligibility Requirements :
Please note candidates applying must be registered students in an undergraduate or graduate program in order to be eligible for the internship.
These are office based positions in IBM locations including the following. Opportunities in these locations will vary based on demand & will be deleted as filled:
CA – San Jose, NY- Poughkeepsie, NC – Research Triangle Park, and TX – Austin
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Modeling and formatting content into viable, feasible, and desirable solutions
- Researching and studying the subject and context to inform content
- Writing, curating, and editing content for accuracy, clarity, and usability
- Simplifying complex content for users
- Creating content that drives user actions
- Demonstrates ability to evaluate and design for the interactions between language and design elements to construct a logical, compelling narrative throughout user/client journey
- Defining and applying consistent voice and tone throughout content journey
- Defining content goals and journeys based on user or customer goals
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Excellent communication skills with a passion for great storytelling
- Foundational understanding of UX design and design research
- Excellent collaboration skills with a persistent curiosity
- Attention to detail in the language and relationships of design elements in the experience
- Localizing content for specific audiences and markets
- Basic research skills to measure and analyze efficacy of content
- Degree in Writing, English, Journalism, Communication, Information Design, or related field
*Part of IBM’s mission is to help those without advanced degrees achieve employment in the IT industry. While a high school diploma is a minimum requirement for employment at our company, equivalent experience will substitute for formal education. Please visit our 2020 Corporate Responsibility Report for more information on this important initiative: https://www.ibm.org/responsibility/2020/priorities/driving-social-impact-at-scale
Learn more about gaining and growing your T-shaped skills with this insightful article from one of our talented designers: https://medium.com/design-ibm/how-to-grow-your-t-and-gain-skills-a13c20452046