Content Designer Thumbtack
WritingUS, Remote3 months ago
Have you ever tried to hire a plumber? How about a house cleaner? If you have, chances are it took you way longer than it should. In the era of instant-everything, you shouldn’t have to waste an entire afternoon researching, calling and vetting local service professionals whenever you need one. The market for hiring them is huge — $1 trillion in the US alone — but the process is inefficient and largely offline.
Thumbtack is transforming this experience end-to-end, building a marketplace that matches millions of people with local pros for almost any project. In making these connections, not only do our customers get more done every day, our pros are able to grow their businesses and make a living doing what they’re great at.
These customers and pros come from all walks of life and every county in the country. We want our team to reflect that. If you come from an underrepresented background in tech, we strongly encourage you to apply. We challenge ourselves every day to make this a place where you can thrive just the way you are, so we can build a product that does the same for our customers and pros.
About the Product Design Team
We’re a tight-knit, collaborative, and highly iterative group. You’ll work closely with designers and product managers to launch and evolve product features. You’ll partner with User Research to gain insights from user feedback. You’ll work closely with Product Marketing to craft and deliver communications through the right channels at the best times. You’ll also sync regularly with other writers at Thumbtack to maintain a cohesive voice across all communications.
About the Role
We’re looking for a seasoned writer who has the analytical and problem-solving skills to work through complicated UI experiences on both mobile and web. As a content designer, you’ll be expected to create clear, consistent messaging while passionately advocating for the needs of the user. You’ll help drive product positioning and communication strategy alongside your design, product and marketing partners, and create delightful, intuitive product experiences that leverage your expertise in UX design and content strategy.
As a content designer at Thumbtack, you will:
- Design, write, edit, test and improve content across multiple touch points, including product flows, navigational elements, product names, emails, tutorials and notifications
- Collaborate on cross-functional teams with designers, data analysts, researchers, engineers, product managers and marketing team members
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and the ability to influence product decisions, team direction and strategy
- Give and solicit feedback from UX design peers and contribute to the team through mentoring or onboarding
- Ensure a consistent voice and tone across Thumbtack product content, marketing channels and customer support
- Develop content frameworks and product narratives that explain your recommendations and help partners understand the practice of content designing
- Independently and proactively identify opportunities for impactful A/B copy tests and participate in user interviews
- 5+ years of professional writing experience
- 2+ years of experience in UX writing or content design
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Proven ability to collaborate successfully with design, brand, marketing, research and product partners
- Ability to articulate your rationale clearly
- Ability to work independently, juggle multiple work streams, and deliver copy on tight timelines
- Portfolio of writing samples
More About Us
Thumbtack is a local services marketplace – one of the largest in the U.S. – that helps millions of people hire local professionals. With hundreds of unique service categories, customers can find a Thumbtack pro for almost anything: landscapers, electricians, personal trainers, even math tutors. And in making these connections, we empower local pros too. Helping them get new customers and make a living doing what they’re great at.
Founded in 2008 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack is backed by over $400 million in investment from Sequoia Capital, CapitalG, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners and Baillie Gifford.
- See what it’s like to work here
- Meet the pros who inspire us
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Virtual first is here to stay
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Ontario or the Philippines. When it is safe to gather, we will begin to host in-person events on a regular basis.
Remote employees will be expected to travel occasionally for these events to a Thumbtack library or offsite team-building location. Additionally, employees in the San Francisco, Salt Lake City, Toronto and Manila areas will have opt-in access to communal workspace at one of our Thumbtack libraries.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.