Meet Alexa, the voice-first personal assistant AI available through over 100 million devices and counting.
You probably know that Alexa sets timers for your kid’s screentime, plays your favorite music, and turns on your lights. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg.
Every single day, Alexa is getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more. Did you know Alexa can recommend a wine to pair well with your dinner, find the right 20-minute workout for you (or even just a 5-minute workout!), and can deliver a weather report that’s specific to your address?
Key job responsibilities
As a Conversational Designer, you will define and drive voice interfaces for existing and upcoming Alexa discovery experiences across Echo devices (voice only and multimodal) and the Alexa mobile app.
You will partner closely with UX designers, product, and engineering teams focused on onboarding & introduction experiences across Alexa endpoints and channels. You'll also consult with partner teams to help them plug into our products and brainstorm new opportunities.
You will define concept and execution, articulating end-to-end experience, and help drive that vision into solid design deliverables such as user interface designs for voice and screen, flows, sample dialogues, flow charts, prompt tables, interaction models, and prototypes.
You will advise on roadmaps, and your work will translate to new patterns and best practices. You will work on new end-customer experiences and also create CX patterns that allow the many Alexa domain teams to create their own discovery experiences.
The ideal candidate has conversational or voice user interface (VUI) design experience. Previous GUI design experience is a bonus but not required.
A day in the life
Your challenge (should you choose to accept it) is to make it easy for anyone and everyone to learn what Alexa can do for them, without searching a list of Alexa Skills. Discovery should be simple, and part of a customer's day-to-day routine.
We’re looking for a Conversational VUI Designer for Alexa Discovery Experiences, not only to help new customers “meet Alexa,” but to help Alexa meet customers where they are, with the greatest convenience, simplicity, and humanity.
About the team
As a member of a growing design team, you will be responsible for helping prioritize the team’s work and magnifying the impact of the team’s output across organizational boundaries. We work with a cross-discipline product team that works vertically and horizontally across Alexa to develop new core Alexa discovery experiences and services.
We welcome innovators and collaborators, as you will regularly find yourself in uncharted territory where the key to your success will be to get ahead of the curve, and you’ll be creating solutions for exciting and ambitious ideas for which no interaction paradigm currently exists.
• 4+ years of experience as a voice designer, product designer, user experience designer, multimodal designer, or similar design-related role.
• Experience with voice or multimodal speech interfaces
• Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), linguistics, or equivalent professional experience.
• A background in voice design, conversational design, multimodal design, product design, UX design, and/or user research.
• An internet-accessible portfolio of your work. Please provide as part of your resume.
• Experience working cross-team and synthesizing feedback and input from product management, engineering, and marketing.
• Experience shipping innovative, successful consumer voice products.
• Experience with speech and language technologies, e.g. voice user interfaces (VUI), speech recognition (ASR), language understanding (grammars or NLU), text to speech (TTS).
• Ability to prototype voice user experiences with readily available tools.
• Exceptional communication (written and verbal), collaboration, and presentation skills.
• Demonstrated ability to influence product teams and product decisions via design and research.
• A track record of innovative work from idea discovery & brainstorming through to delivery & learning from live product experiences. You should be able to tell us why you made decisions you made in past work, and how you approach learning & validation in new spaces.
• Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, and multi-task in an agile environment.
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.