Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; New York, NY, USA.
- Bachelor's degree in Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Linguistics, or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- Demonstrated experience designing voice and/or multi-modal applications.
- 5 years of experience in designing speech-enabled interaction flows across a variety of usability contexts and device types.
- Experience partnering with other designers, product managers, and engineers throughout a project lifecycle.
- Experience as a systems thinker, considering user mental models and cross-platform designs.
- Experience balancing user needs with technical constraints and business considerations.
- Technical knowledge of the fundamentals of conversation (e.g., Cooperative Principle, turn-taking, cognitive load, pragmatics, prosody).
- Technical knowledge of speech and language technologies (e.g., ASR, NLU, TTS).
About the job
As a Conversation Designer, you’ll leverage your knowledge of human language and communication to create seamless and natural interactions for digital systems across surfaces. You will be in a unique position to create voice experiences, partnering with internal leads to create solutions for diverse contexts.
You will work on multiple projects simultaneously, feel comfortable working with multiple stakeholders, and be able to think strategically when reviewing design work and providing feedback and guidance.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design.
Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Develop sample dialogs, flow diagrams, and prototypes to effectively communicate voice interactions and design ideas.
- Create detailed, comprehensive voice user interface (VUI) design specifications in collaboration with other User Experiencers (UXers) and Engineering.
- Evaluate usability and audio consistency of existing dialog flows and recommend design changes.
- Create guidelines, reference artifacts, and resources for third-party developers to assist in VUI design and prompt writing.
- Develop and advocate voice user interface design best practices and guidelines to ensure a consistent brand-experience for users across Google.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status.
We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form.