Design Manager Wikimedia Foundation
Graphic DesignUS, Remote2 months ago
The Wikimedia Foundation is a non-profit organization supporting Wikipedia and other Wiki projects. The Foundation operates one of the world’s top five websites and has global reach and impact.
Technology and innovation are critical in our quest to support every human in freely sharing knowledge. The Product Design and Strategy Group at Wikimedia is looking for a Design Manager with a solid understanding of how to support and challenge designers to grow and evolve.
You will manage a group of designers who are responsible for creating the engaging and delightful experiences for all Wikimedia products. You will be responsible for supporting and facilitating their professional growth, whilst working closely with the Senior Design Manager to manage the day-to-day needs of the team, prioritise design resource requests and encourage a positive team spirit.
You will be responsible for…
- Ensuring healthy dynamics and positive rapport between team members.
- Developing trust with reports, providing empathy and support when needed.
- Developing clear career pathways and opportunities for designers to grow and develop at the foundation.
- Facilitating ongoing career development conversations with direct reports.
- Developing recognition and enrichment opportunities for designers and advocating for designers to peers in promotion processes.
Team rituals processes and tools:
- Curating agendas and facilitating all team meetings in order to ensure participation across the team.
- Facilitating learning opportunities that improve design practice and processes within the team.
- Routinely assessing and managing contracts for design-specific software tools used by the team.
- Applying creative approaches to supporting and prioritising the design needs of projects and teams, whilst optimizing the productivity of the design team.
- Engaging and managing external contractors to fill resource gaps.
Hiring & onboarding:
- Managing the hiring process for new design team members as hiring manager, and evolving how we hire people to champion diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Evolving and maintaining an effective onboarding process for new team members.
- Inputting into the annual budgeting process for the design team, and tracking budget resources throughout the year.
Collaboration & Leadership:
- Being a strong voice for design in product team planning with PMs and engineering managers.
- Being a dynamic and productive part of the design leadership team, by developing and maintaining strong, collaborative relationships within the group.
Skills and experience….
The right person is better than the right set of experiences. These are the traits we’ve identified that make great additions to our team so far.
- Can clearly and concisely communicate team goals and complex processes, both verbally and written.
- Gathers and provides constructive feedback to reports and peers, whilst welcoming and acting upon feedback about themselves.
- Achieves goals by listening to others, building empathy and staying open to change.
- Is highly self-motivated, organised and goal-oriented.
- Seeks to continually evolve their skills and share what they’ve learnt with others.
- 5+ years experience as a product designer in a product team.
- 1+ years management experience of other designers.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in related work experience
Additionally, we’d love it if you have…
- Background in content consumption, publishing, education, or news
- Experience acting as a researcher, both in-person and with remote participants
- Have familiarity with Free Knowledge and/or Open Source communities
- Speak more than one of the nearly 300 languages of the users you’ll be designing for
The Wikimedia Foundation is...
...the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge.
We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off - vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays - including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments - long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Paid travel to Wikimedia Foundation events all around the world!
- Equipment including a laptop, monitor, plus a one-time stipend to cover any additional needs to make sure you have the best work experience
- Great colleagues - diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.