Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
The IBM Consulting Strategic Design Team is looking for a Design Researcher to join our mission to leverage design to transform the way our consulting organization works and interacts with our clients. You’ll collaborate on a variety of high-priority projects to design experiences for our internal teams and our clients, functioning as a key member of a multi-disciplinary squad focused on using design thinking and service design practices to create and iterate on these pivotal experiences.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to identify and prioritize research questions based on analysis of current knowledge, project goals and risks.
- Identify best method or mix of methods based on research questions, timeline and resourcing.
- Distill project goals and research questions into well-thought-out research plans.
- Conduct user research with rigor while ensuring participant comfort.
- Manage iterative prototyping through close alignment with design & engineering teams
- Perform quick but thorough data analysis to create insightful and actionable findings presentations- both verbal and written.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- 2-4 years of experience in UX efforts
- 2 – 4 years of end-to-end experience of all aspects of research (study, recruiting, moderation, analysis, reporting).
- 2 – 4 years hands-on experience with lab-based user testing, remote testing, paper prototype testing, iterative prototype testing, concept testing, field research, international research, and survey design.
- Ability to quickly turn around high-quality user journeys, study plans, and reports
- Ability to communicate complex concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
- Behavioral data-collection and analysis skills, e.g., designing, conducting, and analyzing all kinds of user data.
- Ability to manage ambiguity, work autonomously, navigate uncertain roadmaps, and multitask in an agile environment
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, including techniques to persuade and negotiate and the ability to articulate alternative approaches.
- Natural curiosity accompanied by an extreme bias towards making and a willingness to learn.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Proven experience in oral and written communications and presentations
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- A Bachelor’s degree in Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Information Science, Computer Science, or an equivalent combination of formal education in research and directly related UX experience is required.
- Portfolio to support experience.