Director of User Experience Cayuse
UX UIUS, Remotea month ago
60% of top research organizations trust Cayuse to help them modernize their research administration systems. Cayuse develops SaaS solutions that simplify the business of research administration, helping universities, and research organizations work smarter.
Cayuse empowers globally connected research that reimagines collaboration and drives societal progress. Our platform uniquely addresses the entire hierarchy of research challenges: minimizing risk, driving efficiency, optimizing planning, and enabling world-class, data-driven research management.
Over the past 2 decades, we’ve been on a journey to empower globally connected research. Cayuse has a strong backbone of customer- and employee- focused values that lead to a great working environment, and deliver on our mission: Empower organizations to conduct globally connected research and sponsored projects, advancing their impact on science, discovery, and society.
Job Title: Director of User Experience
Location: Portland, OR
Department: Product Management
Job Type: Full-time
Director of User Experience
The Director User Experience is responsible for partnering across the company to develop and maintain digital user experience strategy, standards and best practices for the enterprise to ensure consistency and scale of experience. This role makes and communicates design and user experience decisions for the Cayuse Platform and all apps, steering UI/UX focus on usability, consistency, and alignment with our corporate identity. They also participate in the creation of user interfaces and are responsible for analyzing and refining the user experience.
The Director of UX will recruit, retain, develop and manage the growing User Experience & User Research team and contractors.
Please note: This role requires that you submit a resume, cover letter, and a portfolio.
Team & Design Leadership
- Set company UX priorities and direction in alignment with with business commitments
- Collaborate with Product Management, Engineering, Sales, and Marketing to deliver an intuitive, consistent user experience across Cayuse’s suite of highly complex enterprise products.
- Ongoing exploratory and market research. Collaborate internally to optimize product offerings for current and future market fit.
- Present features, initiatives, and improvements to a range of internal and external audiences. Facilitate collaboration and mutual understanding among diverse stakeholders.
- Manage and mentor UX team and contractors while guiding their work on the UX, IXD, IA, and research/ user testing for Cayuse apps.
- Stay current on UX and customer markets best practices, and help Cayuse stay ahead of the curve on offerings and technologies.
- Facilitate efficient and productive working relationships between UX deliverables, business objectives, and the Agile development process.
Design Patterns and Guidelines
- Create suite-wide UX standards including component libraries, plugin styling, and expanding/refining the existing style guide.
- Set UX strategy for mobile.
- Collaborate with Marketing to expand/refine the in-app experience of Cayuse corporate identity
- Create playbook for onboarding acquisitions into Cayuse corporate identity and suite-wide information architecture
UX Design, Research/Testing, and Information Architecture
- Create a range of design deliverables for development, sales enablement, future product vision, or other audiences as needed.
- Conduct or oversee user research and user testing as part of ongoing design and development.
- Create and maintain information architecture that effectively and flexibly supports intuitive navigation and information retrieval for a range of user roles across all apps.
- Help guide the initiative to meet WCAG accessibility compliance suite-wide.
- Degree in HCI, Human Factors, Information Science, Fine Arts, CS, Business, or related field
- Eight or more years of enterprise B2B SaaS software UX design or research roles, demonstrating career progression including management experience.
- Deep experience in at least three of:
- Scaling UX teams and processes at high-growth companies
- UX for suites of products including a range of product maturity
- UX for data reporting
- Setup and ongoing support for a Design System
- Designing for WCAG accessibility guidelines
- Establishing KPIs for usability improvements, and using product analytics data and other metrics to improve the user experience
- Responsive design and designing for mobile
- Service design.
- Experience leading UX teams, and mentoring early- and mid-career UX designers
- Experience running user research initiatives, including generative and evaluative UX research, and user testing.
- Strong working knowledge of design and prototyping software such as Sketch, Axure, Figma, InVision, or Zeplin (Cayuse uses Figma). Expert skills in creating design deliverables for development, and clickable prototypes.
- Personal design process rooted in Design Thinking, Systems Thinking, HCD, or another framework, and the ability to explain and consistently apply decision decisions.
- Outstanding written, verbal, and visual communication skills.
- Great attention to detail, conceptual thinking, and adaptability. Comfort with ambiguity.
- Ability to deliver designs that scale and segment elegantly - designs which can be released incrementally, repeated across features, and resized based on product needs.
- Experience writing and maintaining design documentation, and a strategic approach to change management in design.
- Experience in Higher Education, Health Care or Research Administration markets, or has conducted academic research.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and a portfolio.
Some Key Details
Must be able to remain in a stationary position for up to 50% of the time.
This is a security sensitive position and requires a background check and will need to adhere to the Cayuse Information Security Management System.
- Medical – Employer pays 90% of employee premium (PPO + HSA available)
- Short term disability covered
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Commuter benefits
- Parental Leave
- Casual Work Environment
- Wellness Incentives
- Sit-Stand workstations
- Cold Brew + Kombucha on tap