- Master's degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Experimental Psychology, Anthropology, Information Science or a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 12 years of work experience in an applied research and strategy setting.
- Experience managing executive researchers and collaborating with C-level product managers, engineers, and designers.
- Experience influencing across different functions and product areas.
- 12 years of experience leading multidisciplinary UX research teams.
- Effective communication and listening skills, with the ability to articulate and advocate for user needs.
- Fluency in qualitative and quantitative research methods and insights, with comfort in developing new and innovative approaches to understanding users.
About the job
In this role, you will join the leadership of the Assistant team to further advance how user insights inform our product strategy and vision for how Assistant evolves to become a natural, voice-forward helper for users to get things done reliably across Android and Google Hardware. Our Assistant portfolio of products includes: mobile, Automotive, Wearables, TV, other home devices (Google Home, Smart Displays, etc.), and more.
As a Director of UX Research, you will be responsible for leading a team of qualitative and quantitative researchers to drive a user-centered vision for meaningfully improving people's everyday lives by harnessing technology in ways that frees up user time and attention to focus on what matters most to them. You will help define and drive the future of UX Research across Assistant and Google by applying forward-thinking and innovation to our research processes and how we collaborate across product functions.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Collaborate with other UX Research Directors and Managers on our Assistant team to build an industry-leading team.
- Develop relationships with senior leaders and cross-functional partners to shape our strategy across our Google devices, as well as first and third-party services.
- Drive foundational research to influence product strategy and vision.
- Provide leadership, direction and career guidance for a talented and growing UX Research team.