Thomas J. Watson said it best: “Good design is good business.” Visualization is critical to discovering data-driven insights and effectively communicating that knowledge to others. Designers at IBM work to create experiences that work together, work the same, and work for our clients. Does the thought of creating the platform at the heart of solutions like Watson, Blockchain, IoT, and Security excite you? If so, read on!
Your Role and Responsibilities
Want to do your best work ever? At IBM, work is more than a job - it's a calling: To build. To design. To code. To consult. To invent. To collaborate. Not just to do something better, but to attempt things you've never thought possible. Are you ready to lead in this new era of technology and solve some of the world's most challenging problems? Then join us at IBM where the best in the industry are passionate about the design of excellent experiences, enabling designers to further develop their skills, experience, and craft, and supporting IBM teams in delivering market-leading, human-centered products and services.
User experience designers create human-centered experiences by designing the structural and informational foundation for products, services, and systems. They facilitate the delivery of all elements, interactions, and decisions that add value to the total user experience.
These are office based positions in IBM locations including the following. Opportunities in these locations will vary based on demand & will be deleted as filled:
CA – San Jose , MA – Cambridge, CO - Littleton, NY – Armonk , NC – Research Triangle Park and TX – Austin
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
Interpreting research insights and building understanding of users and context
Defining user experience goals and design principles
Applying knowledge of psychological and physical attributes of humans (e.g. Hick's Law, Fitt's Law)
Designing the architecture of the functions and information of the experience
Designing the interaction patterns between functions/information and users/customers
Designing pathways of navigation through an experience; demonstrating understanding of content, functions, and relationships within the system
Supporting and planning for variation of user contexts (e.g. culture, environment, and activity)
Converging and translating technological, operational, and functional constraints into human-centered opportunities
Facilitating and designing for the relational aspects across every part of the experience
Preferred Technical And Professional Expertise
Experience or familiarity with designing for accessibility standards
Familiarity with design systems
Degree in User Experience Design, Human Computer Interaction, Human Factors, Information Architecture, or related field
- Part of IBM’s mission is to help those without advanced degrees achieve employment in the IT industry. While a high school diploma is a minimum requirement for employment at our company, equivalent experience will substitute for formal education. Please visit our 2020 Corporate Responsibility Report for more information on this important initiative: https://www.ibm.org/responsibility/2020/priorities/driving-social-impact-at-scale
Learn more about gaining and growing your T-shaped skills with this insightful article from one of our talented designers: https://medium.com/design-ibm/how-to-grow-your-t-and-gain-skills-a13c20452046
Application Packet Must Include
- Portfolio / examples of design work
- Please note, social profiles, such as LinkedIn or Instagram are not recognized portfolio sources. Your demonstrated work must be in a digital format, such as PDF document, Adobe file, Mural, or another digital platform.
About Business Unit
No matter where you work in IBM, you are making an impact. As an Early Professional with IBM, you will be taking on a key role with one of our industry-leading business units to work on the technology that is solving our most challenging problems and changing the way the world thinks
Your Life @ IBM
What matters to you when you’re looking for your next career challenge?
Maybe you want to get involved in work that really changes the world? What about somewhere with incredible and diverse career and development opportunities – where you can truly discover your passion? Are you looking for a culture of openness, collaboration and trust – where everyone has a voice? What about all of these? If so, then IBM could be your next career challenge. Join us, not to do something better, but to attempt things you never thought possible.
Impact. Inclusion. Infinite Experiences. Do your best work ever.
IBM’s greatest invention is the IBMer. We believe that through the application of intelligence, reason and science, we can improve business, society and the human condition, bringing the power of an open hybrid cloud and AI strategy to life for our clients and partners around the world.
Restlessly reinventing since 1911, we are not only one of the largest corporate organizations in the world, we’re also one of the biggest technology and consulting employers, with many of the Fortune 50 companies relying on the IBM Cloud to run their business.
At IBM, we pride ourselves on being an early adopter of artificial intelligence, quantum computing and blockchain. Now it’s time for you to join us on our journey to being a responsible technology innovator and a force for good in the world.
In addition to a competitive benefits program consisting of medical and life insurance, retirement plans, and time off, eligible employees may also have access to
IBM offers a wide range of resources for eligible IBMers to thrive both inside and outside of work.
- 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. Family care options are also available to support eligible employees during COVID-19.
- World-class training and educational resources on our personalized, AI-driven learning platform. IBM's learning culture supports your restless attitude to grow your skills and build the depth and scale of knowledge needed to achieve your career goals.
- Well-being programs to support mental and physical health.
- Financial programs that empower you to plan, save, and manage your money (including expert financial counseling, 401(k), IBM stock discount, etc.).
- Select educational reimbursement opportunities.
- Diverse and inclusive employee resource groups where you can network and connect with IBMers across the globe.
- Giving and volunteer programs to benefit charitable organizations and local communities.
- Discounts on retail products, services, and experiences.
We consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable law.
Being You @ IBM
IBM is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, pregnancy, disability, age, veteran status, or other characteristics. IBM is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.