The Windows Design team is looking for a passionate Motion Designer to join us in crafting the next generation of Windows. We are a diverse team of designers, that collaborate across skillsets to build a product that touches over a billion people. On our journey to modernize the Windows platform, motion plays a critical role in connecting the design system, bringing micro-interactions to life, and telling the story of our product.
In this role, you will have the opportunity to impact the motion design expression on Windows and develop elegant and scalable design solutions that will set Windows apart from other operating systems. We are looking for a designer with exceptional motion skills and experience in developing and implementing product decisions from concept through implementation.
The Windows & Devices Experiences team is responsible for creating the next generation of experiences for Windows and the Surface line of products. The team’s emphasis on ensuring motion and product craft in all the work we do can be seen in our recent release of Windows 11, and in the delightful animations integrated throughout product.
We are a multidisciplinary team of designers, product managers and engineers who work collaboratively on creating research-backed, people-centric experiences that bridge the gap between software and hardware, while being inclusive, accessible, and modern. We believe that our products reflect the people and the culture behind them, and we foster a synergetic work environment where curiosity, critical thinking and diverse perspectives are highly valued.
Windows is going through an exciting transformation and the Windows & Devices Experiences team is at the center of it. We partner closely with business and technology team members to envision, design, define, validate, and deliver experiences which reach over 1.3 billion people.
PS: We are a remote-friendly team. While co-location is not mandatory, it is required of this role to adhere to Redmond, WA office hours.
- Product Motion (collaborating) – Design UI motion transitions across Windows 11 surfaces to create a cohesive and coherent system. Animate icons and illustrations to bring delight and love to micro interactions. Execute UI motion and animations into products by collaborating closely with designers, PMs, and engineers on different feature teams. Plan near-term product motion execution approaches based on engineering realities and schedules. Identify short-term problems and possible solutions within existing engineering constraints.
- Product Truth (communicating) – Document design and animation decisions as specs for future team and product reference. Organize source files and exports to make hand-off to partners effortless and smooth. Evangelize motion specs and existing presets with partners to convey ease, lower barrier, and grow motion usage across Windows.
- Story (user centered) – Envision the long-term growth of Windows with partner teams through motion studies and reels that highlight and advocate for user value.
- Craftsmanship (execution) – Collaborate with multidisciplinary team to ensure shipping product matches motion design specs and meets the quality bar set by design.
- 3+ years track record of building successful products with motion
- Portfolio demonstrating exceptional animation skills and attention to design details.
- Expertise with standard animation and design tools (After Effects, Figma, Illustrator).
- Expertise with animating, exporting, and implementing Lottie into products.
- Expertise in designing for both cursor and touch surfaces.
- Ability to solve interaction problems through elegant, simple, and direct motion.
- Ability to create consistent and coherent animations scalable across surfaces in a system.
- Ability to verbalize and document design and animation thinking for others to consume.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Independent, self-motivated, and organized work ethic.
Skills that will set you apart
- Conscientious of HTML, CSS, JS, XAML and awareness of code feasibility when animating
- Proficiency with 3D animation software like C4D or Blender
- Knowledge with prototyping software such as ProtoPie
- Knowledge and familiarity with Windows and a perspective on improvements
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.