As the leading independent modern media company, Vox Media ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street, and Recode. Off-platform, the Vox Media Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Vox Media Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Vox Media has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
Vox.com’s video team is looking for a motion designer to create animations for our YouTube channel and other social platforms. Motion design is crucial to our distinctive explainer style. We need clear visuals that can help explain complex ideas to the general public. You must have a strong sense of design, typography, and data viz. You’ll work closely with producers, motion designer, and art director to utilize motion graphics that’ll elevate our storytelling.
This is a full-time, temporary position lasting 3 months.
- Work with producers to create visual approaches for videos
- Create original animation work to be included in videos
- Create templates for video series using style guides
- Design and animate charts and maps
- Develop and design styleframes
Other possible responsibilities:
- Create social media assets for our work across platforms including thumbnail images and original artwork
- Support the art director in team projects
- At least two years of experience in motion design/animation with Adobe After Effects or equivalent level of skill
- Experience in finding and collecting relevant archival footage and material
- Fantastic design taste and attention to detail/accuracy
- Data viz experience is a plus
- Stop-motion, painting, music, and nearly any other creative skill is a plus
- Deep familiarity with Vox’s video voice and style
- Creative drive to explore brand new approaches to video storytelling
- Awareness of what competitors are doing in video
If this sounds like you, please send us a resume and cover letter. In your letter, please include at least 3 links to your past work (journalistic and/or educational examples preferred), and describe your role in the production of the piece.
Vox.com launched in April 2014. The video team has grown to over 30 people and made a name for Vox as one of the leaders in informative web videos. We publish on our YouTube channel, Facebook, Vox.com, and Netflix, creating videos both independently and in collaboration with the larger vox.comstaff. As we grow, we’ll need help ensuring a consistent and high standard of quality so that our audience can be assured that they’re getting impeccable research along with stylish, beautiful presentation.
About working at Vox Media:
This is a permanent, full-time position with excellent benefits—including flexible hours and generous parental leave. Vox Media strives to provide comprehensive healthcare options for our employees and to ensure that our healthcare and other benefits are LGBTQ-inclusive. You'll be joining a group of focused, hard-working, creative people who are passionate about doing work that's challenging and fun—and who strive to maintain a healthy work/life balance.
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law.