Coursera was launched in 2012 by two Stanford Computer Science professors, Andrew Ng and Daphne Koller, with a mission to provide universal access to world-class learning. It is now one of the largest online learning platforms in the world, with 82 million registered learners as of March 31, 2021. Coursera partners with over 200 leading university and industry partners to offer a broad catalog of content and credentials, including Guided Projects, courses, Specializations, certificates, and bachelor’s and master’s degrees. More than 6,000 institutions have used Coursera to upskill and reskill their employees, citizens, and students, including in high-demand fields such as data science, technology, and business. Coursera became a B Corp in February 2021.
The Product Design team is responsible for creating core learning experiences for our consumer, enterprise and university partner customers. The Growth & Consumer product design team focuses on creating value for our diverse customer base across a global ecosystem. We create experiences to acquire new customers, meet the customers where they are in their career path and learning curve, help them discover our various learning offerings, activate, retain customers and define the strategies for customer growth and revenue models. Our team works closely with Product, Engineering, Research, Data, Consumer Marketing, Brand & Creative. We are focused on product-led Growth (not as much marketing driven growth design), leveraging new, strategic ways to connect our customers with the core value proposition with online learning. Experimentation and working across a portfolio of big bets and optimizations is core to our approach in creating sustainable, scalable growth models across our various target audiences.
We are looking for a Principal Product Designer for our consumer team to lead design for our community and cohort-learning to give our career switching learners the support and accountability they need to successfully complete Coursera’s career training programs and launch a new career. This is a full-time remote position within a reasonable time zone difference from our headquarters in Mountain View, CA.
REQUIRED: Portfolio featuring examples of UX design, interaction design work case studies and any examples of Product design for growth is highly valuable (please link a personal website or portfolio).
- Be an active member of the design org, evangelizing the potential of design thinking and raising the bar for the quality of design This role reports to Senior Manager, Product Design for Consumer and is part of the Growth and Consumer Design team, as well as the broader Design and Research org led by the VP, Design & Research reporting into the CPO.
- Work through the initial ambiguous phases of the product design experience: mapping business + customer needs to help define the vision and strategy for big bet growth ideas.
- Create scalable user experiences across platforms that drive business growth.
- Plan and articulate design experiments to help create an iterative approach to product-led growth design.
- Employ effective use of qualitative and quantitative (metrics/ data) insights to inform design decisions
- Understand and experience in using qualitative research methods and strong collaboration with a researcher
- Ability to influence design decisions with cross-functional stakeholders and being an advocate for the customer
- Lead by example, coach less experienced designers on Growth regarding best practices for UX design, design critiques, documentation, planning and presenting
- Balance prioritization and delivery across multiple projects in a strategic design lead capacity
- Experience designing for subscription products Experience designing products for a global audience, cultural sensitivity, global EQ/ IQ
- Hybrid skill set across the design capabilities from UX design to visual design
- Experience designing for consumer SaaS product(s)
- Experience in zero to one (designing and launching brand new products)—extra credit for zero to one in the context of a medium to large sized business
- 7+ years experience as a UX (User-Experience Designer)/ Product Designer
- Experience in a test-driven environment (A/B testing) to help inform design direction.
- Communication and collaboration strategies with cross-functional partners PMs, engineering, other designers, and execs in evolving design proposals.
- Expertise in considering the technical difficulty of different designs, and in finding ways to test concepts as simply as possible.
- Experience coaching designers and setting high standards for design problem solving
- Experience building new consumer product offerings, and conducting user research to inform MVP definition and development.
- Core UX design skills with facilitating design sprints, use of design solving frameworks, creating user flow, defining IA, creating wireframes, prototyping
- Expertise in communicating the value of our product offerings in a way that consumers want to pay for them.
- Experience with subscription products.
- Use of visual design skills with a given UI pattern library
- Ability to work with a content strategist and understand the significance of positioning, messaging and voice in creating compelling, globally scalable, locally relevant growth customer experiences
- Experince using design tools like Figma and Miro
Diversity and Inclusion Coursera is a proud equal opportunity employer and we are committed to hiring and supporting adiverse workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Coursera is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and considers all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, national origin, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected class.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, please contact us at email@example.com.
Please review our CCPA Applicant Notice here.