Yahoo Sports connects fans to the sports and fantasy games they love most, providing personalized quality content and superior fan experiences every day.Yahoo Sports connects fans to the sports and fantasy games they love most, providing personalized quality content and superior fan experiences every day.
A Little About Us
We are sports fans. We love our data, our products, and our people. We are relentless about improving ourselves and are looking for someone who shares our values to join our team and make us even better.
We are driven to improve our industry-leading products, and to solve problems that will define the future of sports betting. This role provides an incredible opportunity to contribute to products that millions of users love and engage with every day.
The right candidate will possess a mixture of quantitative chops and creative intuition–someone who loves digging into the data to drive insights while at the same time identifying the open space where we can grow. If you’re passionate about sports betting and like to make data-driven decisions and flex your creativity, keep reading.
A Lot About You
As the principal product designer on sports betting, you inspire and focus your team(s) using great listening skills, your influence, and crisp, effective communication. You complement these skills with technical knowledge that makes you a credible leader and informs your judgment regarding timelines, scope, quality, priorities, and tradeoffs. You round your skills with a passion for and expertise in sports betting that will help define, shape and drive us towards a complete Sports Fan experience. You are the expert on how products are designed, used, measured, improved, and drive engagement. You support this expertise with a keen ability to break down large, complex problems into well-defined, manageable problems, and an ability to use data to inform your judgment.
- Design for, and implement our comprehensive betting growth strategy with an understanding of the market, customer, and competition.
- Identify user needs and define > develop > launch > scale innovative experiences to address them.
- Fully understand and optimize all aspects of the conversions funnels across the entire network
- Build strong relationships across functions and organizations through on-time delivery, high quality products, and innovation.
- Work with product managers and data engineers to analyze data to drive decisions based on data, not assumptions.
- Turn broad, ambiguous user and business challenges into clear, valuable and delightful solutions;
- Connect user research and data insights to design decisions at every stage of development;
- Incorporate best practices across multiple platforms and devices across iOS, Android and web.
- Contribute to a design system that supports design and engineering processes
- Mentor and give feedback with humor, grace and empathy to teammates and cross-functional partners.
You're likely to succeed in this roll, if you are someone who:
- Draws on all aspects of product design—information architecture, multi-step flows, motion—to create holistic experiences;
- Delivers consistent, polished and balanced layouts, through typography, color and visual hierarchy;
- Uses prototypes as a foundational piece of your design process both to identify appropriate solutions and influence stakeholders;
- Solves user problems in creative ways that go beyond obvious, expected solutions;
- Demonstrates high emotional intelligence when interacting with teammates and other co-workers;
- Presents designs clearly and confidently to facilitate useful feedback while shifting approach based on the audience and desired outcome;
- Takes initiative and accountability for timelines, deliverables and outcomes;
- Contributes to the design community both inside your company and beyond; and
- Desires and takes action to grow professional skills.
- Experience in designing for sports, and sports betting / gaming / gambling industries
- Passion for sports betting and deep knowledge of the sports betting industry and competitive landscape
- Excellent product sense with an ability to build products the market needs
- Strong analytical background with experience using data to drive business decisions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with a high level of empathy
- A love of teamwork and passion for partnership. We don’t expect you to know everything, but we do want you to ask questions and lean in to fill in any gaps.
- 7+ years of experience in digital product design for iOS, Android and web.
- Portfolio that demonstrates expertise in visual design, interaction design, prototyping and product thinking.
- Demonstrated history of leading a user-centered design process from end-to-end.
- Proficiency in software to create design concepts, prototypes, assets and specifications.
- Skills such as illustration, photography, animation, data visualization, conducting user interviews, front-end programming or data science are a plus!
- A passion for sports and sports betting, with an openness and willingness to learn, is a quality we look for in all of our team members.