The Alexa Shopping Design Team craft elegant customer experiences at the intersection of AI and retail shopping. We imagine a future where customers can shop from anywhere using any modality available to them. We are a passionate group of designers, creatives, and researchers working together in Seattle, London, Santa Clara, and Arlington to bring Amazon’s Alexa shopping vision to life.
To help us achieve our vision, we are looking for a strong senior UX program leader to join our growing Design Studio and play a significant role in defining the operations, mechanisms and staffing strategies for this exciting evolution of shopping with Alexa.
In this key leadership role, you will define and own operational models, mechanisms and processes that will enable UX Designers, Researchers and Creatives to deliver thoughtful, innovative and high-quality work that enable velocity, quality, and innovation within the team. As part of this you will own our organizational strategies, asses and manage team health and culture and have full responsibility for outward facing strategic documents and communications. In addition, you will lead a team of UX program managers who manage the day-to-day operations, intake, and prioritization of the design team’s work, while overseeing the team’s interface with stakeholders and partners. Your peers will be other design leaders in Alexa Shopping Design as well as leaders in product and engineering, and you will report to the Director of Design.
To succeed in this role, you must be an innovative self-starter with a high bar for quality and a proven ability to dive into the details while maintaining a strategic big-picture vision. Along with your design colleagues you are obsessed about the customer experience, never settle for good enough and inspire the team to do the same.
Key job responsibilities
· Manage the design team organizational design including defining/owning our organization operating model, headcount allocation, resource distribution strategies, and role definitions
· Manage team health and culture including analysis and mechanisms that assess and improve the culture, craft and effectiveness of the design team
· Own and hold the pen for strategic team planning and communications including yearly organizational planning documents, quarterly reporting, and external communications meant to inform and maintain the right level of accountability with Amazon leaders
· Lead UX, Research, and Creative program management including management of the UX Program Management team as they execute your vision for day-to-day team operations, project management and partner engagement
· Participation in the Alexa Shopping Design leadership team including thought leadership, contribution to mechanisms that enable success and management of all intra-org touch points, meetings, and rituals
· Management and oversight of all design org events including all hands, off-sites, and events
· 10 + years professional experiences as a UX Program Manager, Producer, Studio Manager, or Design Manager
· Experience leading design team operations including resource allocations, project management, and organizational strategy
· Clear written communications skills as demonstrated through writing samples
· Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent professional experience
· Experience working in collaborative multi-disciplinary teams
· Excellent verbal communication and presentation skills
· Experience leading design studio operations for software, AI, or emerging technologies
· Knowledge of human centered design process and UX research methodologies
· Experience managing team health and culture
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.