Vortex is a newly founded studio within the Microsoft Mixed Reality group exploring product frontiers that bring together collaborative science, missions to benefit our planet, and entertainment all while pushing the forefront of technology. We are looking for a Principal Visual Designer to join our team as we define the future of Mixed Reality experiences.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a strong understanding of visual storytelling and the ability to craft compelling concepts that address the challenges inherent in 3D interactive domains. This person will have experience collaborating with others to implement their designs at scale while maintaining a clear, concise visual language across a suite of products and experiences.
In this role, you will combine the expertise of an art director with the human-centered touch of an experience designer to bring to life HoloLens, VR and location-based experiences that lay the groundwork for the next era in interactive entertainment. You will work closely with your design counterparts to bring a unique perspective to our creative process as we seek new ways that technology can empower people and groups to transform the world.
Our team values diversity of thought generated through lived experience, varied backgrounds, and innate curiosity. We are energized by individuals with unique perspectives who challenge convention and assumptions. If you are passionate about groundbreaking Mixed Reality technology and want to work on a team dedicated to a culture of inclusion, growth mindset, and collaboration, we need you!
This team supports our employees in all locations around the country. This job has the option to be remote or located in one of our hubs.
- Define and develop the artistic direction of all Vortex projects, ensuring consistency in quality and experience
- Create, champion, and maintain inspiring visual concepts and style guides to drive the production of assets and ensure measurable results
- Demonstrate and communicate clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication, and professionalism with the team
- Successfully manage multiple priorities and content creation pipelines
- Build and manage a team of visual designers across several workstreams
- Work closely with leadership to support product vision and strategy
- Collaborate regularly with partners (internal and external) to deliver experiences that exceed customer expectations
- Routinely explore new creative trends, technologies, and styles
- BA/BFA in Art/Design or relevant industry experience
- 5+ years of digital art production experience in film or games with a minimum of 2 years in a lead or director role
- Strong portfolio of work highlighting immersive and interactive experiences
- Expertise across modern art software packages: Adobe suite, Maya, 3D Studio Max, Houdini, Substance, Zbrush, etc.
There are plenty of other skills that aren’t required, but you’ll find useful in this role. Let us know if you have experience with the following:
- Demonstrated success in a start-up or similar environment establishing vision and guiding a team through early phases of ambiguity
- A deep understanding of animation, motion design, 3D modeling, shaders, VFX, and interaction design
- Ability to create rapid prototypes from concepts
- Familiarity with Unity, Unreal, and other engines
- Experience in AR/VR
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
- Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud Background Check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.