Mac... iPod... iPhone... iPad… WATCH... what’s next? We are a team of passionate engineers who are designing, prototyping, analyzing, and eventually launching that next new product category at Apple! We are looking for a Product Design Lead to join us. As a PD Lead on this team, you will be given ownership over the mechanical design of a subsystem of our product.
You will be responsible for providing technical direction and priorities to a small team of PD Engineers regarding analysis, prototyping, CAD, vendor feedback, and how to meet the reliability specs of your subsystem. Our goal is to ensure the highest quality product for our customers. In this role, you will engage in frequent multi-disciplinary collaboration with teams like Industrial Design, Project Management, Materials, Manufacturing, and more. You will have a uniquely rewarding opportunity to craft future products that will delight and inspire millions of people every day!
- 4+ years of hands-on, detailed product design experience
- Strong analytical skills with regard to mechanical engineering theory
- Experience in rapid prototyping (3D printing, quick-turn machining, etc)
- Experience leading technical project groups in a professional environment
- Proficiency in 3D CAD (any modeling package)
- Basic GD&T knowledge and experience releasing 2D drawings
- Proficiency in performing tolerance analyses
- Working knowledge of FEA principles
- Wide knowledge of engineering materials and manufacturing processes
- Experience with vendor FAI/CPK dimensional reports
- Excellent communication skills including emails, preparing slide presentations, and presenting technical concepts to multi-disciplinary teams
- Creative problem solving, with experience in failure analysis, root cause investigation, and DOE creation
- Experience collaborating with Asia-based manufacturing facilities, specifically in high-volume production
- Detail orientated and capable of balancing multiple work-streams at once
- Bonus - Experience designing for weight reduction
- Bonus - Experience in ergonomics and human fit
- Bonus - Experience with soft goods design (fabrics, foams, etc)
Do you thrive on solving problems? Are you ready to explore a new domain with a hard-working team? We are the hands-on group that carries the design of Apple products through the entire process, from early prototyping to mass production. Our team is expected to set an example of technical excellence, which is why we obsess over the details. We also care deeply about taking a collaborative approach, where all inputs are heard, to best ensure our designs are inclusive of all of our potential users. That’s how we make the best consumer electronics products in the world.
Travel will be 10-25% (pending removal of COVID-19 travel limitations) and the team is based in the San Francisco Bay Area. This role can only be done from inside Apple's corporate headquarters.
Education & Experience
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering required, Master of Science preferred