IBM Quantum is an industry first initiative to build universal quantum computers for business, engineering and science. This effort includes advancing the entire quantum computing technology stack and exploring applications to make quantum broadly usable and accessible.
With a worldwide network of Fortune 500 companies, academic institutions, researchers, educators, and enthusiasts, we are committed to driving innovation for our clients in the IBM Quantum Network and the Qiskit Community.
Your Role and Responsibilities
IBM Quantum is leading the World in an incredible new computing paradigm based on quantum technology. To help bring our remarkable quantum technology to the World, we are building a dedicated and highly creative team to create engaging experiences for quantum researchers and developers.
The UX designer will work as part of the Experience team (product design and Quantum marketing) to create user flows, wireframes, and prototypes for our customers and scientists. They will use their knowledge of design thinking, our users, and visual storytelling methodology to make the future of quantum computing a reality.
Please attach your portfolio for consideration (URL or PDF).
• Collaborate closely with product managers and development to help define and validate business requirements, then rapidly iterate on them to create a project vision
• Communicate the intended experience through artifacts such as concept maps, user flows, storyboards, sketches, wireframes, interactive prototypes, and design specifications
• Defend design choices using previous user research, heuristics and usability standards
• Work closely with Design Researchers to understand stakeholders, users, and the markets in which they operate
• Help plan and execute validation activities to ensure a delightful user experience
• Work with Visual Designers and Front-end developers to ensure intended experiences are brought to life in a timely manner.
Preferred Location is NYC area or Austin, TX.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
• Demonstrated ability to produce low-fidelity sketches on tight schedules
• Demonstrated ability to synthesize user feedback and business requirements into designs
• Demonstrated ability to create click-through prototypes to test and validate designs with users.
• Demonstrated visual design competency and the ability to use a design system to create high fidelity UI that is visually consistent and impactful.
• Demonstrated knowledge of responsive design techniques for different form factors (desktop vs. mobile)
• Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills, including techniques to persuade and negotiate, to critique, and to articulate alternative approaches.
• Bachelors Degree, or equivalent work experience
• At least 4 years experience in as a user experience designer, interaction designer, information architect, or similar role with a user focus.
• Experience in working with Sketch or Figma.
• At least 2 years experience in agile, scrum and lean approaches.
• At least 4 years experience in working in a collaborative team and directly with developers implementing designs.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
• Strong interest in science and technology, particularly quantum computing and cloud computing.
• Experience designing enterprise software, SaaS applications for large-scale user bases, or application platforms (e.g. content management systems, e-commerce platforms, application development platforms, etc.)
• Understanding of development documentation best practices.
• Talent for visual and graphic design