The Disney Streaming Services (DSS) design team is a growing practice of multi-disciplinary creators and storytellers. We are passionate about building high-quality, innovative and authentic experiences that connect people with the content they love. We work where art meets science, exploring ideas by using the power of design to make the invisible visible. We believe in doing things that matter, cultivating a culture of diverse perspectives, and collaboration. We celebrate our wins, but never settle.
We are looking for an experienced design executive to lead the Hulu Product Design team. You'll lead a hardworking design team, focused on crafting human-centric experiences for the Hulu platform across Living Room, Mobile, Web, IoT devices, and emerging technologies. The right person for this role must have experience in developing both holistic and future-forward experiences and a demonstrated ability to inspire and mentor designers to push the boundaries, as well keeping focus on optimizing the details of current experiences. As a design leader, you will be encouraged to use your full range of product, interaction, systems, and visual design skills to raise the craft of your team, and guide them through the end-to-end development cycle.
You will be joining the design leadership team that built Disney+, Hulu and Star+ and you will be reporting to the VP, Product Design for Disney Streaming. As each of our streaming services has its own brand identity, subscriber, and business needs, you will help to build a set of common UI patterns as the foundation supporting a set of unique, brand-specific screens and features, while ensuring to keep the brand identity of our Hulu apps top of mind.
We are looking for candidates that want to work with a groundbreaking, award-winning design team that is enhancing and innovating UX for over 100 Million users worldwide. You are someone that is passionate about redefining streaming entertainment through innovation, unconventional thinking and embracing fun. In this role you will be accountable for the full customer journey for Hulu. From the moment a viewer starts the signup process, to discovering new content to watch, to managing their favorite content, to playback for both LIVE & SVOD. You’ll be part of a growing team that creates amazing experiences that celebrate the best of entertainment and technology.Responsibilities:
- Work directly with senior design leadership in defining and leading both the near term and future state of Hulu’s multi-platform experiences.
- Set the strategy and vision for your area of ownership, offer a strong product and design voice with your cross functional partners.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with product management, engineering and user research to ensure a smooth product development process.
- Manage a team at different stages of development. This requires setting clear goals, managing project loads and allocating designers accordingly, ensuring deadlines are met and setting up team members for overall success.
- Identify, develop, and advocate for the specific design skills needed on the team to achieve an experience vision.
- Guide your team to develop best practices for ensuring a high bar of quality.
- Recruit and develop the design talent needed to achieve the team goals. Act as a key stakeholder in developing our hiring process.
- Led efficiency/process opportunities that drive positive impact for the entire Product Design Team.
- Provide clarity when it’s needed, help your ICs work more effectively and encourage them to implement the most desirable design solution.
- Provide mentorship, coaching and professional development of the team, including managers and practitioners at all levels.
- Represent the team, and its design strategies, to stakeholders across the org, including experience engaging with executives up to the CEO.
- Drive the business value of design by measuring and reporting design-specific outcomes for the full program.
- Lead and manage team members in different locations & time-zones.
- A passion for working in the digital Product space – ideally with past experience designing for personal devices, TV and emergent experiences.
- 10+ years of proven and effective people management experience with a Product Design team with 20+ staff.
- Incredibly strong design portfolio with examples of UX and strategic thinking.
- A strong understanding of user-centered design principles and design thinking practices.
- Demonstrated expertise in high-level product design strategy.
- You possess exceptional design judgement and are able to distinguish between ‘good’ and ‘great’ work.
- Design experiences that are simple, elegant, and progressive.
- Contribute to a unique design culture and attract world class talent.
- BA or BS degree, in a related field.
Hulu is the leading premium streaming service offering live and on-demand TV and movies, with and without commercials, both in and outside the home. Operating at the intersection of entertainment and technology, Hulu has a unique opportunity to be the number one choice for TV. We captivate and connect viewers with the stories they love, and we're looking for people who are passionate about redefining TV through innovation, unconventional thinking, and embracing fun. Join us and see what Hulugan life is all about.About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Services LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Hulu.
Disney Streaming Services LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by federal, state or local law. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.