The Elevator Pitch: Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
Product Designers at Tanzu Labs work with product managers, engineers, and client stakeholders on radically collaborative teams. To us, design is not a phase but a first-class member of any functional software team. Tanzu Labs Product Designers work on one team at a time and stay engaged for the whole product lifecycle. We work with clients, users, and teammates to design valuable and shippable products. We measure progress by shipping software, not wireframes.
We work on custom client software products which means Designers on our team get to work across a diverse array of fields throughout their time here. A Designer might work on a healthcare mobile app for 3 months and then hop over to web-based banking software or tablet-based retail tracking. This means our team is constantly learning about new industries and new customer needs. Our Designers are starting a new initiative every 3-6 months so we get to immerse ourselves in new problems and a wide array of potential solutions all year.
Our sweet spot is when we teach our clients how to get better at software through creating with them. As coaches and mentors, it's normal for us to be on a blended team of colleagues and clients who are eager to learn what we know.
Product Designers at Tanzu Labs are hungry to learn and love sharing what they know. Our diverse client base presents us with new problem spaces all the time. We use the fundamentals of Agile, Lean, User-Centered Design to guide us. We strive for diverse teams because we know they can be the most successful. If you want to collaborate with a team of kind and brilliant technologists, come join us!
Some recent client engagements include:
- A COVID-19 testing and exposure tracking product
- Carina launched an app for matching essential workers and childcare providers in 11 days
- A mobile app to manage at home energy efficiency including solar panels and
- A mobile and web app for take home covid tests that enable employees to attend a family event or return to the office with confidence
- A product for purchasing supplemental medicare insurance supporting the needs of differently abled users
- A product to help parents to make decisions based on the quality of the public school system in their state
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- 1st Day: You've had a great first day, met your manager and a couple of your peers who’ve welcomed you to the company and answered any burning questions you have. You also have a nice new computer setup.
- 1st Week: You have a good sense of our Labs practices and shadowed some sessions to see it work in practice. You’re more integrated into the wider design and product practices and understand how you’re a critical part of that.
- 1st Month: You’ve joined your first project and applied your skills as a designer and consultant to further the team’s work. Your Product Manager and Engineer teammates are fantastic practitioners and excited to collaborate with you.
- 1st Quarter: You made amazing improvements to your Design skills. You feel more comfortable helping less experienced client Designers build great software. You feel capable of adapting your style to the needs of your team. You paired with your manager to create goals aligned to your career and development interests. You have the support and resources at hand to go on that journey.
- 1st Year: You’ve succeeded in delivering a lot of valuable software into the hands of users! You've improved the skills and abilities of your client teammates so they can keep building great products themselves. You’ve become an active member of our diverse design community.
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
Your regular activities may be modified to suit your strengths, but you can expect a variety of assignments that are similar to:
- Be a crucial member of a team dedicated to helping a single customer achieve their goals. Design and build custom software to delight users!
- Advocate for modern best practices like User Centered Design, Design Thinking, Lean, and Agile
- Collaborate daily with client designers and stakeholders to solve complex problems in uncertain environments using a combination of their domain knowledge and your skills in research and design. Coach customers on our approach all along the way!
- Collaborate with product managers and software engineers to find simpler ways to meet the needs of our customer’s users and business.
- Learn new skills and grow in your own career while contributing learnings back to others in our Product Design practice so we can all grow and thrive together.
****This position may perform work that the United States government has specified can only be performed by a United States citizen on United States soil, and therefore any offer will be contingent upon verification of both of these requirements.****
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
We believe in collaborative, autonomous teams focused on achieving our customer’s goals. Our leadership strives to create a healthy environment for you to do your best work, and will empower you to work directly with your team and clients to deliver.
Your manager will be an experienced Designer. They will support your growth through training, mentorship, and stretch opportunities. You should expect regular 1:1 meetings with your manager that are focused on project support and career planning.
We are passionate about building valuable software and software teams set up for long term success. We strive to leave every client team better than we found it and love collaborating along this exciting journey. We have a bias towards action and love to test ideas so we can learn and improve. We have learned that being empathetic, inclusive, and kind empowers people to achieve greatness. We look forward to welcoming new team members!
Where is this role located?
Like many companies, the COVID pandemic changed how we work. We are fortunate to be capable of running a strong business in a 100% remote working environment and that is what we are doing now.
However, we believe that the fastest way to build authentic relationships is in person. Our role as consultants requires us to work well with new teammates on many types of engagements. We navigate large customer organizations, facilitate team building and work towards shared goals.
We’ve found that we can do this remotely, but it is faster when we are co-located. Kicking off customer engagements in-person also fosters happier and more productive remote days. Once the pandemic is behind us, we expect in-person collaboration at one of our offices or at the customer's site which will require travel of 10-25%.
What are the benefits and perks of working at VMware?
You and your loved ones will be supported with a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Below are some highlights, or you can view the complete benefits package by visiting www.benefits.vmware.com.
- Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Medical Coverage, Retirement, and Parental Leave Plans for All Family Types
- Generous Time Off Programs
- 40 hours of paid time to volunteer in your community
- Rethink's Neurodiversity program to support parents raising children with learning or behavior challenges, or developmental disabilities
- Financial contributions to your ongoing development (conference participation, trainings, course work, etc.)
- Wellness reimbursement and online fitness and wellbeing classes
The VMware culture is based on a set of shared values best expressed through the acronym EPIC2: execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community.
These values imbue everything that we do, from our products and services to our community work through the VMware Foundation.
It’s not unusual for a company to develop a set of core values. Where VMware stands out—and a major reason the company’s strong corporate culture has been recognized—is that the company’s values are a living, dynamic part of the workplace.
VMware was named in Forbes as one of America’s Best Employers for Women, coming at number 3 in the IT category and number 57 overall (out of 300!).
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, age, physical, mental or sensory disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, HIV status, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status including pregnancy, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
This job may require the candidate to travel and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.