Microsoft Outlook is the foundation for productivity for hundreds of millions of people around the world,helping them connect, organize, and get things done when working with others or in their own lives.The Outlook Experience Studio, our design and research team, is central to evolving our vision for Outlook as your personal hub for productivity.
Working in Outlook provides the opportunity to tackle challenging problems while having great impact. We are passionate about our craft and we value creativity, open idea sharing, and cultivating a safe and inclusive environment where we are driven by a strong sense of purpose.
Most of all, we're motivated by our hundreds of millions of customers around the world who rely on our product every day. Working on Outlook is much more than designing a great productivity app – it means building a sophisticated, elegant user experience that impacts people's lives in a meaningful way. Come be part of the team that helps deliver an Outlook that is designed for modern life.
While our Studio is based in Redmond, we have many designers and researchers in other locations and embrace candidates who work remotely full-time. We’ll provide you with unparalleled levels of opportunity and resources, with the goal of creating experiences that influence the industry, as well as people’s lives.
COVID-19 and the changing world of work have made this a pivotal moment for us to help our customers stay productive and focused. We are building a seamless Outlook experience that is integrated with the rest of your workflows and with your favorite Apps, whether from Microsoft or third parties. We are looking for a thoughtful, innovative Senior Designer who wants to be a catalyst for change while creating beautiful and delightful experiences.
You demonstrate senior design thinking and love to work across complex and challenging spaces. With experience and strength in all stages of the product cycle, you can drive from ideation to completion.
You are motivated by shipping products and are hands on. As such, you will work closely with designers, researchers, program managers, and engineers as well as other design teams and app partners in a highly collaborative environment to create forward-thinking design strategy and user scenario-driven features that are based on deep customer empathy.
You have a passion for understanding the ‘why’ and working with research across the design cycle, from identifying opportunities for research to translating research findings into tangible design proposals.
You will identify user centered design patterns, establish scenarios, place designs into user context, create interactions that align to those requirements and articulate polished final designs.
You are a strong communicator, and can draw on a wide variety of methods to tell a compelling story, from storyboards, flows, wireframes and prototypes to creating fully rendered designs and vision pieces.
You are experienced in the tradeoffs and collaboration needed to design and ship high-quality products used by a wide audience eager to work in a fast-paced, data-informed environment, and can generate compelling ideas rapidly and iterate based on rapidly-changing information
You are motivated to mentor, inspire and grow other designers, and foster a creative, inclusive work environment.
Overall you’ll work as part of a community with diverse styles, voices, and views that reflect the diversity of our customers. You’ll talk to customers, design and iterate with them, and challenge yourself in ways you haven’teven imagined, yet. It’s deeply humbling and rewarding work. There’s nothing quite like it. Come join us!
- 6+ years of industry experience in interactive design and/or visual design
- Please include URLs for an online portfolio demonstrating your design process, UX flows, interaction patterns and visual design skills in addition to resume. Submissions without a portfolio will not be considered.
- Experience shipping high quality products into high volume markets
- Excellent interpersonal and collaborative skills
- A people-focused design mentality that wants to build products with meaningful impact
- Proven experience applying user research throughout the design process.
- A creative mind that thrives on a balance of strategic and tactical work
- Strong visual design sensibilities (typographic, grid, motion) and attention to detail
- Fluency with designing interaction and visuals for software and the web and for both phone and large screen experiences. (Our customers’ move across devices and platforms.)
- Awareness of trends in interaction; mobile, communications, and collaboration
- Expert level proficiency with common design tools (Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, etc.)
- Proficiency in Figma
- Experience using design components and pattern libraries
- Ability to create highly polished design prototypes, mockups, and other communication artifacts
- Motion design, prototyping, and UI coding skills a plus
- The ability to scope and estimate efforts accurately and prioritize tasks and goals independently
- Ability and willingness to mentor and grow others
- A degree in one of the many product design fields or equivalent experience
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.