In this role, your work will center on internal organizational questions, and the population you will be studying are the Tweeps and teams who build Twitter. You will develop an understanding of how your customers solve problems and carry out their work. You’ll identify their needs and pain points, and will communicate those experiences to a broad set of stakeholders whose focus is enabling our product teams to work better and faster.
As a member of the Research team you will help our partners understand their constituencies and internalize their customers’ experiences. You’ll work closely with Product, Engineering, Strategy and Operations, Data Science, and Design to identify better ways to address the goals of new and existing internal customers, build engaging experiences that support efforts to improve Twitter’s work processes, tooling, and teaming.
You’ll be charged with championing a customer-centered process that integrates insights and feedback throughout the product development cycle. You will conduct primary qualitative and quantitative research, exploring the behaviors and motivations of our Tweeps through a variety of research techniques and methods (e.g., field visits, ethnography, surveys, diary studies, and usability tests). Your research will help us create a product experience that is innovative, useful, usable, and delightful. You’ll inspire change at all stages of product development by delivering compelling, written, in-person, and visual presentations on your findings and influencing with an informed point of view.
Above all else, as a senior member of the team you’ll mentor junior members by investing your energy and talents in supporting the career growth and development of the people on your team.
Who You Are:
You are an experienced mixed methods researcher with a strong understanding of a wide range of qualitative and quantitative methodologies, as well as an excellent understanding of experiment and research design. You possess a working understanding of organization design and engineering team dynamics. You know when to engage with teams across the organization, what questions to ask, where to probe, and how to structure and implement the most effective research strategies. You are a creative problem-solver who is comfortable wayfinding in the unknown, seeking to deeply understand the business so that you can define the most actionable and strategic research plans. You thrive in a fast-paced environment and enjoy setting your own research goals, simultaneously managing workload balancing and stakeholder expectations, and delivering actionable research findings, a point of view, and recommendations. You’re passionate about Twitter and believe great experiences are always inspired by a deep understanding of the user.
- Leading the proactive discovery, exploration, and development of insights to drive organizational strategy
- Leading and executing research connected to internal tooling and experimentation platforms
- Consulting with stakeholders and helping guide their work collaboratively
- Structuring and executing research protocols and plans
- Partnering with Product, Engineering, Data Science, Strategy and Operations, and Design teams to build in research at multiple stages of the product development process
- Ensuring all problems are approached through the integration of multiple data streams, including qualitative and quantitative research along with cultural trends and patterns
- Advocating for insights in order to drive action and impact by providing compelling narratives and artifacts
- Engaging in purposeful relationship-building with a wide array of partners and other research teams
- Strong foundational knowledge of qualitative and quantitative research tools and techniques
- Strong business acumen; an understanding of business goals, metrics, strategies, and pressures while being aware of industry trends and competitive actions as a foundational context for doing research
- Demonstrated experience executing exploratory research and discovering, synthesizing, and socializing actionable insights that have shaped product strategy and produced a business impact
- Ability to build collaborative cross-functional relationships to influence strategy and decisions in a distributed environment
- An entrepreneurial mindset and a creative approach to problem-solving
- Strong project management skills and experience guiding and executing on multiple internal and/or outsourced projects simultaneously
- Ability to manage through ambiguity
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize initiatives
- Excellent communication skills; able to express ideas clearly and simply, listen to others, create an environment where all are comfortable expressing thoughts, and promote timely and ongoing flow of information
- A growth mindset that fuels your desire to continuously learn and improve
- Confidence in learning bleeding-edge technologies quickly
Twitter is committed to serving the public conversation by helping users stay informed and discuss what matters. In order to better facilitate the public conversation, we are seeking a Senior Researcher to be a part of a specialized research team. Our research helps inspire, design, and build the products that fuel Twitter's mission to give everyone the power to create and share ideas and information instantly, without barriers.
This research has a direct impact on product strategy, roadmaps, and the detailed design of new experiences that help users stay up to date with what matters most to them and connect to others with shared interests. Our team is one of the Core Technologies Research teams, a group full of amazingly talented and fun people who are passionate about Twitter’s ability to help people see beyond themselves and connect with the larger world in a meaningful way.