Senior Strategic Designer OpenSC
ResearchBerlin, Germany, EU, Remotea month ago
OpenSC is an impact venture, co-founded by WWF and The Boston Consulting Group. We are on a mission to create technology enabled transparency for supply chains – for the benefit of the planet and the people that live on it.
OpenSC solutions help companies VERIFY claims about sustainable and ethical production in an automated, continuous, and data-backed way. To realise the value this creates, we TRACE products along the supply chain, and SHARE their story with consumers and business partners.
As the Senior Strategic Designer, no day will be the same.
You will work with a multidisciplinary team to define how to implement supply chain transparency technology that will verify, trace and share information about a given product. Each implementation is unique, which is why you’ll take the team through a design process starting with exploration of the needs of the participants in a given supply chain, progressing to experimentation with different solution concepts, through to defining solutions that consider both technological as well as behavioural components.
Since the teams are small, you will usually be the only design representative on your project. You will be expected to play a key role in planning and executing design components of a project, and you will be heavily involved in project and stakeholder management.
Your day to day will be filled with the following responsibilities:
Research & Field Work
- Adapt research plans to suit individual projects, create discussion guides and measurement tools.
- Conduct in-person, or manage on-the-ground resources to conduct field research.
- Using findings from field research, work within an implementation team to perform supply chain and claims verification mapping for new products(i.e. map the flow of product, transformations, change of ownership points, social and environmental impacts). Translate findings into visual representation and help the team to draw new insights from the data collected
- Technology roll-out & integration
- Identify human behaviours in relation to proposed technologies, and work with engineers to design productive interactions between humans and technologies.
- Develop user-friendly processes and guides to support the roll-out of technologies within supply chains.
- Own the research, design, and testing process for any field applications required for data collection.
Digital Interface & Interaction Design
- Design functional interfaces for data collection that are easy and intuitive.
- Work with our B2B customers to understand their needs, and create data visualisation prototypes and concepts.
- Work with our B2B customers to create concepts for how their data could be used to create compelling consumer experiences and stories.
What we look for
We’re looking for candidates that share our vision and mission and want to work on a unique solution that will have a huge impact on global supply chains. Building a solution like this is not a simple task - we’re looking for people that embrace challenges, are comfortable with uncertainty and will go the extra mile to help us achieve our mission. A genuine desire for a more sustainable human impact on the environment is a must.
- Have at least 5 years of experience, with a foundational understanding of both Service Design & CX
- Love the design process E2E - from understanding the core problem or objective, surfacing specific user needs, designing interfaces that meet those needs, and then working with developers to make it real.
- Be able to work independently, as well as in multidisciplinary teams
- Not be afraid to be on the tools
- Have experience in B2B or enterprise product design.
- Be excited to join an impact led start-up with a mission to drive transparency in supply chains to benefit people and the planet
- Be excited about joining a small but fast growing company looking ahead to it’s Series A investment
- Be comfortable working on both lo-fi prototypes, as well more high fidelity product designs
- Be comfortable working in multiple cultural contexts across various geographies and timezones, very often in a remote set up
- Fluent English, fluent French
Bonus points for
- Experience in an agency, consultancy or other project-focused environment
- Has worked to support an agile development team
- Has experience in an adjacent industry (supply chain, agriculture, logistics, manufacturing, agriculture etc)
- Has experience projects with a similar focus (sustainability, human rights, certification)
- Additional languages (Spanish, Portuguese, Swahili, Bahasa, Cantonese, etc)
In your application, please include a short cover letter that answers the question of why you would like to join OpenSC and what you feel you can add to the team.
Make a real difference:
At OpenSC you’ll have the opportunity to create meaningful positive impact in the world. We’re working to tackle humanity’s grand challenges saving the planet, ending modern slavery and promoting economic opportunity for some of the world’s poorest, most vulnerable workers. We’re addressing these challenges with highly innovative approaches, scalable technologies and a powerful network of experts, partners, and resources that are driving marked results.
Work on Cutting Edge Technology
We are working at the forefront of innovation with IoT, blockchain, data science and machine learning making world-class products that solve complex real-world challenges.
Join an Amazing Team and Network
You’ll be joining a talented, passionate, fun team united behind a big vision! Our employees also work alongside an incredible wider team from WWF, Humanity United, BCG Digital Ventures and our corporate partners. By joining OpenSC, you’re becoming a life-member of an unparalleled network of leaders and alumni from across these organisations around the globe.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion with regards to gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, education, disability, disciplines and skillsets. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We want our team to feel comfortable bringing their authentic selves to work and to sharing their most creative (and sometimes crazy!) ideas. The team who have built OpenSC to date has included people with German, Chinese, French, Sri Lankan, British, Malaysian, Polish, Australian, Indian, Hungarian, American, Greek, Indonesia, Spanish and Chilean backgrounds.
Sustainable & Flexible Work
Launching a new venture takes energy and passion. Nevertheless, we believe in sustainable approaches to work that support work/life balance. We want our team to have rich and flourishing lives with their friends, family, and communities beyond the workplace. We support flexible working arrangements including hours and locations.