Xbox is one of the world’s most valuable brands and enjoys millions of players and passionate fans. An important part of our plan is to grow our global player base and our multi-billion dollar a year Xbox console and accessories business. At Xbox, we believe Gamer Happiness is at the core to our mission of empowering every person and organization on the planet to achieve more.
As part of XPS (Xbox Products Services), Xbox Research & Design is a leader in gaming and entertainment experiences for customers worldwide. We design for gamers of all types across Console, PC, Web, Mobile, and beyond. Most importantly, we design for fun.
We seek a Senior User Experience Designer for Gaming Experiences and Platforms (GXP). This role is focused on software experiences that support our Xbox’s world class hardware and accessories. You’ll be working at the intersection of digital and physical, unifying them into a single, seamless experience.
Together with our team of visual design, motion design, interaction design, game design, hardware design and UX engineering, you will help us strategize about our product, articulate meaningful customer experiences and craft artifacts that delight and engage our users. You are a starter and a finisher – someone who can inspire with concepts and can shepherd a design to ship. Above all, you have craft, whether through pixels or code, you can bring an experience to life that communicates and demonstrates the product. We are a design team with great passion for gaming and for gamers – join us and help shape the future of Gaming at Microsoft.
- Drive digital product experience for hardware related experiences.
- Collaborate with brand, marketing, business, and engineering.
- Ship designs for software development on time and at high quality.
- Create and present mood boards, concept models, scenarios, flows, visual comps, information architecture diagrams, wireframes, prototypes, UI pattern libraries, design guidelines, and other artifacts to evolve the user experience.
- Work with fellow Designers, Program Managers, and Developers to identify and solve problems to enhance the overall user experience and maximize business impact.
- Participate in and lead brainstorming, critiques, and work sessions.
- Demonstrate design concepts and strategy through prototyping.
- Build consensus around design direction; shepherd into product and the gaming design system.
- Base design rationale on research, insights, machine learning, and other inputs.
- Deep knowledge of various design disciplines, with specific strength in visual and interaction design.
- Design experience across both hardware and software.
- Demonstrated design experiences across variety of screens/scenarios/inputs driving customer engagement.
- Ability to quickly produce elegant and easily understood design artifacts.
- Cross-team and cross-discipline communication skills and understanding of related business and technology processes.
- Confident presentation skills to all levels of an organization.
- Expertise with Sketch, Illustrator, Photoshop, Abstract, and related tools.
- Experience with prototyping tools (Invision, ProtoPie, Framer, Principle, Flinto, Unity, etc.)
- Inclusive design experience.
- A minimum of a BA/BS degree in Graphic Design, Communication Design, Interface Design, Human-Computer-Interaction, or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of designing for software development
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.