- Bachelor's degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Anthropology, Psychology, Computer Science, Behavioral Economics, or equivalent practical experience.
- Experience collaborating with multidisciplinary UX and/or product teams (visual, interaction, UX research, engineering, UX writer) on technical implementation
- Experience utilizing qualitative methods and integrating user research into product designs and design practices.
- Master's degree or PhD in Human-Computer Interaction, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Anthropology, Information Science, Human Factors, other Social Sciences, or a related field
- Experience with quantitative research and the principles of experiment design.
- Experience with a wide range of UX and market research methods and techniques, such as lab-based usability studies, field research, usability inspections, creation of user profiles or personas, participatory design, survey research, experiment design, and statistical analysis
About the job
At Google, we follow a simple but vital premise: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." User Experience Researchers (UXRs) make this possible.
User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers who care deeply about the people who use our products. We play an integral part in gathering insights about product user needs, attitudes, emotions, and behaviors to inspire and inform design. We collaborate closely with each other, engineering, and product management to create industry-leading products that deliver value for our users and Google’s businesses.
As a User Experience Researcher (UXR), you’ll help your team of UXers, product managers, and engineers understand user needs. You’ll play a critical role in creating useful, usable, and delightful products. Working with stakeholders across functions and levels, you'll have impact at all stages of product development. You’ll explore user behaviors and motivations by conducting primary research such as field studies, interviews, diary studies, participatory workshops, ethnography, surveys, usability testing, and logs analysis.
The UXR community at Google is unique and will help you do your best work. You’ll have the opportunity to work with and learn from UXRs across Google through regular meetups, mentor programs, and access to internal research tools.
We build experiences for YouTube creators, who are a uniquely inspiring group of users, ranging from fledgling vloggers, through internet celebrities, to the very biggest media companies in the world. They're the people who make the videos on YouTube that entertain, educate, and inspire viewers.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Conduct independent research on multiple aspects of products and experiences.
- Collect and analyze user behavior through lab studies, field visits, surveys, benchmark studies, server logs, and experimental design.
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research.
- Advocate research findings to cross-functional audiences through written reports and in-person presentations.
- Help make YouTube more equitable for creators.