We are building a next generation product using a new way to design and build workflows around data. Imagine being able to process any data with no code knowledge using a sleek UI. This role provides a unique opportunity to work on forward leaning innovation work that will ultimately impact the experience of 100s of millions of people who use Office, all in an environment that appreciates diversity, focuses on talent development, appreciates, recognizes, and rewards great work.
You will work with an innovation team chartered with innovations with how people collaborate with, interact with, and visualize data. You will be responsible for bringing a strong customer lens to this work – including deep understanding of what people need when interacting with data. You will partner closely with researchers accountable for related experiences across Microsoft 365.
In this role, you will be a member of the XC Planning & Research team. We are a growing team of over 50 researchers and planners working on a breadth of experiences across Microsoft 365. We are a fast-paced, results oriented group that interacts closely with partners in Design, PM, Data Science, and Engineering.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone special. You are an impassioned mixed methods researcher. Skills with quantitative data inclusive of telemetry and surveys is a must. This position requires strong research, storytelling, and organization skills, and the ability to work across teams. The ability to establish a strong point of view – informed by market and user level insights – and to leverage that to focus and define program strategy is a must. We're also looking for someone that is forward-thinking and willing to challenge & provoke new ideas.
Accordingly, you are tech savvy with an innovators mindset. The kind of person who is curious about new technical capabilities and how we can extend them even further. You are also impassioned by driving customer-driven culture into the organization. You’ll be skilled in building the confidence and capabilities of our stakeholders as they scale their own research.
We’re especially looking for someone who wants to learn, grow, and embody new ways of working. If you embrace growth mindset, have a track record of delivering results, and you light up collaborating with other planners, researchers, designers, product managers and engineers this is an awesome team to join.
- Define product and audience direction and impact the engineering roadmap using customer data (qualitative and quantitative). Key to this accountability will be identifying gaps and customer pain points, as well as potential customer delighters.
- Build and execute impactful research plan(s) that provide the broad market views and deep customer insights needed to impact strategy and UX.
- Derive insights from quantitative and qualitative data, complementing other research that you will conduct on your own or in partnership with other researchers.
- Define and measure UX approaches, metrics, and work with core stakeholders on research planning. Innovate and develop new approaches to measure user’s experiences.
- Land impact broadly from your customer-focused knowledge by working across multiple organizations and their respective engineering, design and marketing teams.
What does it take?
Balance business motivations, value to Microsoft and external partners
- You are eager to learn and understand about diverse audiences, their behaviors, context(s) and motivations – across all phases of the customer lifecycle and user journey.
- Can demonstrate strong empathy for these users while balancing the vision and constraints of stakeholders.
Desire to work in-stride with other people: PMs, designers, other researchers, marketers
- Really, you must love this part of the job. The lines between this role and others are often unclear and you must be comfortable with contributing, engaging others despite the ambiguity.
- Be ready to win together. This team has intentionally designed a structure where we work together.
Entrepreneurial spirit willing to dig in
- You will need practical and real-world problem-solving skills, as this team moves fast, and your role will be to help unblock barriers in design, build and go-to-market.
- 5+ years of hands-on research and/or product planning experience, with demonstrated skill in collecting and analyzing human behavioral data to improve plans and UX in a technology industry setting.
- Curiosity in, or an understanding of developer audiences.
- Either an MA/MS in computer science, statistics, human factors, psychology, market research or related field, or a BA/BS in one of these fields with significant industry experience.
If the above sounds like you, we can’t wait to talk to you!
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.