Note on Location:
We are open to this role being located in Austin, Texas; Bellevue, Washington; or Toronto, Canada.
We’re the Last Mile Experience Design (LMXD) team for Amazon Worldwide Operations, where we work closely with product teams to build and maintain the products that Amazon businesses use to deliver packages into the hands of our customers. Our team of designers and researchers work collaboratively with our product partners to research customer behavior and needs, and create customer experiences that meet them. This includes systems such as the Amazon Rabbit delivery platform, DSP 2.0, and Delivery Station, as well as other systems supporting how addresses, geolocation, routing, and deliveries work. The experiences we create are used by multiple businesses and product lines within Amazon, including Amazon Logistics, Prime Now, Amazon Fresh, Amazon Flex, Amazon Key, Lockers, I Have Space, Retail, and others.
Key job responsibilities
We’re looking for design leaders to bring radical thinking to both big-vision and fast-execution projects - getting stuff done in the short term while figuring out the next big thing. Many of our projects move beyond the digital space and bridge into physical processes as well. We work collaboratively in our design and prototyping studio to research customer behavior and needs, and define the customer experiences that meet them.
A day in the life
You’ll design digital experiences across canvases (mobile, touchscreen, etc.) which help delivery drivers navigate the physical world by communicating delivery and pick-up tasks for a variety of delivery types and use cases... such as in-garage, in-vehicle, in-home, Amazon lockers, Whole Foods groceries, as well as leverage new delivery technologies.
You possess the necessary skills and expertise to be able lead projects and push UX design limits. You demonstrate an ability to work creatively around difficult design limitations, and you'll be responsible for managing your own work queue and crafting, pitching, and validating your design strategies. You'll drive alignment and commitment to design decisions by soliciting, synthesizing and managing design feedback, and partner with peers and stakeholders to deliver tangible results.
Collaboration and facilitation skills are key capabilities for this role. As a contributing member of our team, you'll maintain the highest design standards and act responsibly in the execution of these standards, as well as strive to continuously improve upon best practices and processes. It's expected you'll demonstrate customer-centric judgment in your day-to-day design decisions and partner/stakeholder engagements, be an advocate for a quality customer experience, and understand your Amazon customer base, the competition, and the industry.
Leading with Vision
We adhere to a loose process for design:
· We invent via collaborative brainstorming sessions
· We prototype and simulate experiences with real customers, to whom we have access
· We socialize vision upward and outward
· We document the experience and support our tech teams
· We launch and celebrate
We aren’t robots—we can’t be effective, innovative designers if we work extreme hours (plus, many of us have families!). So, while we may invest extra to time to put on the finishing touches to launch critical projects, we strive to accurately scope projects, reduce project thrash, and average a normal work week.
· 6+ years of design experience
· An available online portfolio
· Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), a related fielf, or 4+ years of additional experience
· Experience with a variety of design tools (eg. Figma, Sketch, Illustrator)
· An available online portfolio demonstrating your process for creating great user-centered design solutions
· Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal and analytical skills, including the ability to communicate interactive design concepts clearly and persuasively to leadership
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders across multiple organizations and drive alignment
· Ability to work efficiently and demonstrate a bias for action in a fast-paced environment, working on ambiguous and challenging projects
· Relentless desire for innovation, balanced with business needs, and customer expectations
· Experience working in a collaborative team and working directly with developers for implementation of customer experiences
· Experience with best practices for information architecture and design, as well as experience with usability principles and techniques
· Experience with driving or wayfinding apps, logistics, or service design
· Visual design expertise demonstrated through mockups and style guides
· Effectively lead product discovery and design workshops
Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.