Senior UX Researcher Japan, Spotify - Remote
Remote Design JobsRemote9d ago
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for you. At Shopify, we want to make commerce better for everyone, everywhere. Countries differ in many ways in terms of language, culture, and how people engage with commerce. We want to embrace these differences and make Shopify the right platform for all merchants, no matter where they are on the planet. Shopify has 1,000,000+ merchants in more than 175 different countries. We’re focussed on reducing the barriers of entry to entrepreneurship and scaling success by offering commerce solutions to small and medium-sized enterprises, as well as major brands like Simba, GymShark, Spotify, Emma Bridgewater, and Skinny Dip London. Making Shopify better for merchants around the world brings deeply interesting UX challenges across language, behaviours, currency & trade, and ultimately, culture. We’re on the lookout for people who are excited to work on hard problems at a global scale in a friendly and collaborative environment. If this sounds familiar, we’d love to hear from you.
As Senior UX Researcher in Japan on the International Growth team, you will be working remotely in Japan, you will have a special role in building understanding and empathy for merchants in APAC. You will help us build real connections with merchants, and bring these insights into product teams across Shopify. You will work with a multidisciplinary UX team of product designers, content strategists, user researchers, and front-end developers to deliver the best possible experience for our merchants around the world.
The UX Research team guides and informs the company towards designing and building better products and experiences for people using a variety of research methods. Researchers work with teams to incorporate people-centric thinking from problem definition to post-launch iteration. We ask thoughtful research questions, conduct contextual research, frame problems, synthesize insights, evaluate concepts and prototypes, and assist with launches and releases.
In addition to informing product and UX, we also work on broader internal initiatives to cultivate international merchant empathy throughout Shopify (e.g. remote merchant tours of Shopify stores, merchant Q&A panels).
You should have:
- Proficient in Japanese and English at a business level.
- Experience with field research in Japan, in a product development context. Hands-on experience scoping and prioritizing research questions, research planning, data gathering, analysis, summarizing, and sharing findings.
- The ability to identify the best UX research methods and tools to use depending on project objectives and constraints.
- Experience applying a range of research methods with creativity, scrappiness, and critical thinking.
- Example research methods may include observations and in-depth interviewing, usability and accessibility testing, diary studies, card sorting, eye and click tracking, surveys.
- Examples of projects where your research insights led to better-informed design decisions (e.g. to guide product roadmaps, strategy decisions).
- Familiarity with combining qualitative and quantitative data.
- The ability to clearly communicate insights and recommendations to different audiences.
- Proven ability to build relationships between disciplines and cultivate collaboration, especially on distributed or remote teams.
You'll be responsible for:
- Helping to define our product roadmap for APAC by understanding and advocating for international merchant needs across language, culture, and local commerce behaviours. While we may share the platform, merchant needs vary greatly around the world.
- Obtain insights for our team to build new products around international requirements, to serve merchants in new ways on the Shopify platform. We know that language, payments, and shipping products can function fundamentally differently around the world - we need you to help us consider the breadth and depth of these challenges and provide simple, scalable experiences. This may include travel and conducting field research on the ground in-market.
- Articulating research questions and priorities with multiple teams and using a range of research methods to answer those questions.
- Collaborating closely with various teams (Product, Design, Culture, Data, etc.) to help make better decisions around culture, collaboration, tools, and product roadmaps.
- Working with the team to enable the UX Research practice at Shopify to confidently incorporate an international perspective into their work.
Shopify can offer Shopify:
- A culture of trust and ownership.
- An international workplace culture.
- Flexible location within +/- 2 hours of the JST time zone.
- Flexible work hours and a competitive compensation package (including equity, benefits, and perks)Benefit from a lifestyle spending account - a budget you can spend on a variety of things to help your life run smoothly, including wellness, transportation, and family care related expenses.
- Plentiful professional growth opportunities, such as conferences, training courses of your choice, books, business trips, etc.
- The best tech needed for your job
We know that applying to a new role takes a lot of work and we truly value your time. We are looking forward to reading your application. Regardless of the outcome of your application we will strive to provide an update to you within 3 weeks of your application submission.
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities. Please take a look at our 2019 Sustainability Report to learn more about Shopify's commitments.