Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Lead research for Roku TV, the #1 selling Smart TV OS in US and Canada! You will conduct research that could impact the user experience of the millions of Roku TVs sold in North America, the UK, Mexico, and Brazil. Roku is seeking seasoned researcher to lead user experience research for our Roku TV product. This role will focus on establishing and executing a research roadmap for Roku TV while partnering closely with an ultra-talented team of designers, engineers, and product managers.
Roku focuses creating easy and delightful user experiences for our customers. A successful UX Researcher in this role is energized by the drive to understand user behaviors, motivations, and patterns.
The ideal candidate will have endless curiosity and can pair a global mindset with locally relevant execution. You should be a gritty problem solver and self-starter who can drive programs with the product and commercial teams within Roku and across external strategic partner organizations. The successful candidate will display a balance of hard and soft skills, including the ability to respond quickly to changing business needs.
What you’ll be doing
- Partner with product managers, UX designers, and engineers from the beginning of product strategy through execution and delivery of features, to understand technical and business requirements and prioritize user research opportunities
- Develop a research strategy, roadmap, and budget
- Create, plan, and execute research initiatives that greatly influence the evolution of the platform
- Collect and analyze user behavior through lab studies, field visits, surveys, logs, and A/B experiments
- Present research findings to diverse audiences through written reports and presentations
- Lead the team in taking specific actions from the research findings in order to make meaningful differences to the product to improve both user and business outcomes
We’re excited if you have
- 10+ years of relevant industry experience as a user researcher
- Confidence in the breadth of research methods, including selecting the most appropriate methods for a given problem or question
- Proven methodological skills including early concept testing, prototype testing, usability testing, rapid iterative testing, exploratory and generative methods, observational fieldwork
- Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the product development process
- Proficiency in Research tools such as Optimal Workshop, Dscout, and Qualtrics (or similar)
- Excellent communication, facilitation, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and relentless attention to detail
- Strong project management skills with the ability to define, plan, and lead projects forward
- Comfort operating in a highly dynamic environment and the ability to thrive navigating ambiguity and solving complex problems
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects demonstrating flexibility in applying research methods in varied contexts (include online portfolio link with resume)
- Relevant Bachelor’s, Master’s, or Ph.D. in areas such as Human Factors, HCI, Cognitive Science, Psychology, Research, etc.
The Roku culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We believe a fewer number of very talented folks can do more for less cost than a larger number of less talented teams. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn’t real until it is built and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.