- Bachelor's degree in Design (e.g., interaction, graphic, visual communications, product, industrial, etc.) or equivalent practical experience.
- Online portfolio demonstrating visual design creativity.
- 7 years of experience as a visual designer.
- Experience implementing visual design systems across a range of platforms in a product development environment.
- Experience developing and launching a consumer product or app for multiple device types and contexts.
- Experience managing stakeholders and building cross-functional relationships.
- Strong communication, collaboration, and presentation skills.
About the job
At Google, we follow a simple but vital premise: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." Google’s Visual Designers weave space, typography, color, iconography, and texture together to help people successfully navigate our products. We believe that all of our products should be beautiful and accessible.
Google User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of UX Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers: we care deeply about the people who use our products. The UX team plays an integral part in gathering insights about the behaviors and perceptions of people who use our products to inspire and inform design. We collaborate closely with each other and with engineering and product management to create industry-leading products that deliver value for the people who use them, and for Google’s businesses.
As a Visual Designer, you’ll rely on user-centered design methods to craft industry-leading user experiences—from concept to execution. Like all of our UX jobs, you’ll collaborate with your design partners to leverage and evolve the Google design language to build beautiful, innovative, inspired products that people love to use.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
- Oversee and create proposals throughout the design process, including conceptual vision, executive presentations, and final mockups for implementation.
- Establish a unified design language, set design principles and guidelines, fuel product innovation, and evolve product vision by design inspirations, explorations, and visual storytelling.
- Work closely with user research, product management, and engineering throughout the entire product development cycle, from product inception and strategy to execution.
- Build close relationships with cross-functional teams as well as other Product Areas at Google.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship to designers and collaborate with UX to grow the level of visual design craft on the team.