The Mozilla Foundation is a nonprofit public benefit organization. Our mission is to ensure that the Internet is a global public resource, open and accessible to all. Join us and become part of our mission to promote openness, innovation, and opportunity online!
20 years ago, this meant building a browser and protecting the open web. Today, it also includes making sure AI and data driven technology is more trustworthy. In order to focus on places where Mozilla can impact the next era of our work, we are increasingly working on the topic of trustworthy AI. For us, this means especially two things: human agency is a core part of how AI is built and integrated, and corporate accountability is real and enforced.
We’re seeking a full-time permanent Senior Visual Designer. As a designer on the Digital Engagement team, you will work closely with our internal team of writers, content creators, advocacy campaigners, and UX/UI designers to advance our marketing, social media, email, and web platforms to increase Mozilla’s impact! You will do this by creating cross-channel visual strategies and execute them through creating compelling graphics.
In this role, you will:
- Create a cross-channel visual strategy and be responsible for the look and feel across all distribution channels
- Execute different illustration styles from scratch (editorial, vector, iconography development) as per the project goals and audience
- Perform photo editing and sourcing
- Follow, adapt, expand, and iterate on our brand guidelines
- Effectively give and receive feedback with your design peers and program staff
- Collaborate across cross-functional teams, partnering regularly with content creators, campaigners, internal partners, and designers
Your skills & experience include:
- Design visual graphic assets for an array of channels and touchpoints (social media, web, campaigns, ads, etc) that are engaging, impactful, and designed to inspire and spark action.
- Strong digital typography, illustration, photography editing, and layout skills.
- Strong conceptual ability to translate and synthesize abstract topics to easily consumed graphics for a broad audience and understanding trends and technology.
- Strong ability to produce in different styles and approaches depending on the project.
- Ensure that racial justice and equity is visually represented in assets and that assets represent a broad range of global experiences.
- Ability to communicate efficiently and experience working in a fast paced, agile environment to manage deadlines and deliverables with partners for rapid response initiatives, marketing, and campaigns.
- Ability to follow and build off style guides, ensure visual and brand consistency, and collaborate to iterate and evolve it to build upon the design system.
- Ability to conceptualize, iterate, present and defend design concepts clearly and to also collaborate to work and plan with the design team and various cross-functional team members (content, campaigner, marketer) on deliverables to create thoughtful visual work that delivers on overall engagement strategy.
- Ability to organize files and production deadlines, give/receive constructive feedback to designers or partners, document workflow and iterate in an open process.
Your Professional Profile:
- 5+ years of proven experience in a digital design role.
- A strong portfolio of real world projects that demonstrate a strong ability to distill complex ideas and inspire action through design.
- High level of skill with modern design and collaborative tools such as Illustrator, Photoshop, After Effects, Figma, Sketch App, Github, and Airtable.
- Knowledge about industry standard methodologies, accessibility, and responsive design and an eagerness to learn, expand your skills, and try new tools.
We Are Excited To See Any Additional Experience With:
- Interest or experience with video editing, animation, and motion design.
- Experience working in non-profit, advocacy, and/or social enterprise environments.
Salary and Benefits Information:
The Mozilla Foundation is dedicated to fair and equitable compensation for our staff. We aim to pay a competitive and market-based salary that takes into consideration the responsibilities and requirements of the role.
The Mozilla Foundation aims to offer at the midpoint of our salary ranges for the purposes of increasing inclusivity and fairness of our offer process and ensuring internal equity. We do not ask for, or take into account, salary histories in our offer process.
The base salary ranges, along with mid-point, for this role in each of the key countries in which we employ staff is listed below. We target the 75th percentile of market pay as a salary band midpoint for all levels, with 10% either side of the midpoint to create a salary range.
- Germany: €65,751 - €80,363 (mid-point: €73,057)
- UK: £38,990 - £47,654 (mid-point: £43,322)
- Canada: $74,438 - $90,979 (mid-point: $82,709)
- US: $69,782 - $85,289 (mid-point: $77,535)
Depending on the successful candidate’s location, we may also add in a geographic differential to this base salary that accounts for local job market weighting. This differential is applied to the above ranges depending on the successful candidate’s location. Below are some of the common cities in which we hire staff along with representative examples of salary ranges, along with mid-point, with the geographical differential applied:
- Inner London: £42,500 - £51,943 (mid-point: £47,221)
- Toronto: $80,318 - $98,166 (mid-point: $89,243)
- New York: $77,318 - $94,500 (mid-point: $85,909)
The range for your specific location will be discussed in screening conversations if your application is successful.
The Mozilla Foundation offers the following benefits for our staff:
- Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance + Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Short-Term Disability and Long-Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Retirement Plan contributions
- 20 Paid Time Off days per year (prorated) + your birthday
- Company Holidays + Shutdown
- Wellness budget
- Professional Development budget
- Top up program for Maternity and Parental leaves
Benefits are subject to change at any time at the discretion of Mozilla Foundation.
Mozilla Foundation Hiring Practices:
Mozilla understands that valuing diverse creative practices and forms of knowledge are crucial to and enrich the company’s core mission. We encourage applications from everyone, including members of all equity-seeking communities, such as (but certainly not limited to) women, racialized and Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities and expressions.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation at firstname.lastname@example.org.