Amazon Astro is looking for an exceptional Senior UX Designer to join our team developing consumer robots for the home. You will concept and craft unique and compelling visual design, collaborate with UX designers, researchers, animators, engineers, and product managers throughout the design and development lifecycle. You excel in ambiguous problem spaces, bringing tangibility to conversations that define emerging products. As a tastemaker and storyteller, you will advocate for design excellence—contributing to user interfaces, frameworks, and design patterns for both device and companion app experiences. This role is based in San Francisco, CA.
The ideal candidate for this role will have a keen eye for elegant, modern design, and UI patterns. You think holistically, and craft the “why” of all that we ship—advocating for your design solutions by putting them in context of business and customer goals. You have a mastery of visual design systems, considering how our design language evolves with every new component and feature, generating rapid concepts, mood boards, user flows, and prototypes. You are at ease both visualizing an experience in the abstract and then driving that vision into concise design deliverables and hands-on building with engineering teams. You can drive the creative review cycle, craft innovative design solutions, and elevate the visual experience of millions of customers around the world.
Key job responsibilities
Develop world-class visual designs, defining color palettes, typography, layouts and templates for device and mobile. Owns and maintains the design system for Amazon's consumer robots, taking into account not just visual components but also Astro's personality, physical motion, sounds, accessibility and brand.
A day in the life
Create user interfaces and visual components in a scalable and systematic way. Manage and own the design system, communicating with stakeholders in UX, Engineering and Product. Define the future visual language for Astro and consumer robots at Amazon.
About the team
The Consumer Robots design team includes UX, sound, and voice interaction designers as well as animators and design technologists and researchers. Working in an emerging product category, we experiment, invent and, build entirely new digital and physical customer experiences for robots in the home.
· 6+ years of design experience
· An available online portfolio
· Bachelor’s degree in Interaction Design, Graphic Design, or equivalent design-related field
· 3+ years of experience as a visual UX designer, interaction designer or similar role
· Visual design expertise demonstrated through design system documentation, mockups, and style guides
· Experience in a variety of design tools such as Sketch, Figma, InVision and Adobe CC
· An exceptional portfolio that demonstrates experience creating innovative user-centered design solutions
· Experience creating compelling visual experiences for novel user interfaces
· Experience with multimodal user interfaces (e.g., screen and voice)
· Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
· Experience with Agile processes and partnering with technical product management and developers for design implementation
· Experience designing for multiple platforms such as mobile, multimodal, TV, web and virtual reality
· Experience with prototyping tools such as InVision, Principle, Origami
· Experience providing art direction to motion designers and illustrators
· Ability to navigate ambiguity to drive the design cycle and multitask in an fast-paced environment