The Campaign and Product Tech (CAPT) UX team supports research, design, prototyping and incubation for products and tools owned by multiple partner teams within Amazon Ads. Our products deliver custom advertising experiences to external customers. Our tools streamline manual processes and are used by internal customers. Some tools advance beyond prototypes and are developed into incubated web applications by this team. Once an incubated tool reaches maturity and satisfies exit criteria, it is transitioned to an engineering team that can continue to support its growth.
Key job responsibilities
L6 Design Technologists (DT) in the CAPT UX team lead design, prototyping and incubation for these products and tools. They also assist in research processes which assess proposed features for these products and tools and they are a key stakeholder in reviewing the PRFAQs produced by this research. L6 DTs are expected to lead large initiatives, such as the creation of a new tool, with limited guidance and ambiguous requirements, proactively engaging with key stakeholders in other teams to ensure alignment. Additionally, L6 DTs are expected to scope this work and to effectively divide it into parallel tasks that can be supported by multiple team members and then merged for review and launch.
L6 DTs play a critical role in evaluating proposed features, products or tools. They focus on customer outcomes and design features to enable those outcomes. They lead the validation of their prototypes against requirements and user stories. They are capable of driving highly-effective discussions about requirements with customers and stakeholders. L6 DTs are expected to evaluate the trade-offs between requests to create new products or tools and the long-term implications of supporting those new products or tools.
L6 DTs evangelize modern UX and front-end development best practices within the UX team and across CSC. Their code is maintainable, scalable, secure, extensible, well documented and can be easily handed off to an engineer when required. L6 DTs are major contributors to design standards and drive a high quality bar. They influence UX and technical decisions made by their team and by partner teams. They act as mentors to other DTs, designers and engineers.
A day in the life
Your day will divided between heads-down design/development time and some limited team meetings. We have a daily team stand-up, a bi-weekly sync with other front-end focused members in the org, and a monthly org-wide meeting. You will work with PMs in partner product teams on projects and may have occasional check-ins with them as well.
About the team
CAPT UX is a distributed team based in Seattle and Santa Monica. Due to that our team stand-up is over video. However, 2 other members of the team are based with you in Seattle. We are a mix of design and tech roles.
· Available online portfolio
· 4+ years of experience as a front-end technologist, engineer, or UX prototyper.
· Coding samples in front end programming languages
· Proficiency in a variety of design and prototype tools such as Sketch, Invision, Figma, Framer, and the Adobe Creative Suite.
· Proficiency in React or a comparable JS framework like Vue, Ember or Meteor to build responsive/adaptive, component-based UI.
· Proficiency in JS libraries like ThreeJS and GreenSock to create and animate graphics within a 2D and 3D UI.
· Proficiency in JS APIs to retrieve and parse XML/JSON data from a server.
· Understanding of client-side performance and how to mitigate latency issues.
· Proven ability to invent and extend tools
· Communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
· Experience in advertising.
· Experience with Amazon Web Services.
· Desire to learn new technologies and systems.
· Strong sense of ownership and drive.
· Sharp problem solving skills and ability to convert ambiguous requirements to structured solutions and actions.