We’re making it easier for the world to cut the cord
Roku is Changing How the World Watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
Our talented and diverse UX team delights users one design at a time, while building and enhancing a UX culture within Roku that nurtures our ongoing enrichment and elevates the UX maturity across the company and the industry.
About the Role:
We’re looking for an experienced Interaction Designer to lead the design of settings across the entire Roku ecosystem including Roku TVs, players, sticks, remotes, and privacy. This creative leader will be responsible for the design, implementation, and standardization of Roku controls wherever they surface in Roku products.
What You’ll Do in This Role:
- Work closely with partner teams including engineering, project management, and content strategy to craft interaction and visual designs that surface the latest cutting-edge streaming technology in Roku products
- Work with in-house and partner branding teams like Dolby and TCL to ensure that new features are accurately represented in Roku UI
- Ensure that best practices for interaction design, visual design, and accessibility are used to inform Roku settings and preferences
- Work closely with Product Managers to clarify and define the business goals that your designs will address
- Rapidly create and iterate on design options with static mocks and prototypes
- Work with the Copy Writing Team to ensure that the language used in Roku products is compelling and easily understood by users
- Present design options directly to Roku executive leadership for feedback and approval
- Partner with the User Research Team to evaluate the usability of designs in our state-of-the-art user research lab
- Own your designs from inception to shipping, communicating effectively throughout the process with partner teams and executive leadership
- Give and receive feedback in regular design critiques with your peers
- Help to strengthen a culture of creativity and ambition within the Roku design community
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Experience as a Product Designer on multiple shipped products, and the ability to discuss your specific contributions to those products in a compelling way
- Next-level skills in crafting information architecture that is both intuitive and functional
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ambiguous environment that rewards leadership and creativity
- A passion for maintaining the integrity of designs as they move through the development process and into the homes of our customers
- Experience working with User Research and translating results and insights into tangible design solutions
- Endless empathy for the user
- Strong time management skills on a daily, monthly, and quarterly basis
- 6+ years’ experience and the ability to work independently with stakeholder teams
During Your First Year in This Role, You’ll:
- Work closely with PM partners, User Researchers, and Design Leadership to create a roadmap of features that will keep Roku ahead of the streaming pack
- Design and ship features that will touch the lives of millions of customers around the world
- Closely collaborate with experts in Engineering, Research, & Product Management, to keep Roku at the forefront of streaming technology
- Be the thought leader and head architect of anything involving settings or preferences in the Roku ecosystem
- Work directly with some of our most experienced Managers and Directors to learn about the Roku product development process
- Create interactive prototypes to evaluate designs through user testing
- Partner with our User Research Team to develop testing plans for usability, customer sentiment, and idea generation
- Give well thought-out presentations in formal design reviews, walking your audience through your design process, key decisions, and next steps
- Participate in the deeply synergistic team of UXers at Roku – you’ll share knowledge, exchange ideas, and have one of the best sounding boards in the tech industry
About Our Hiring Process for this Role:
We know your time is valuable, so we love being transparent about our hiring processes.
After you apply for this Interaction Designer role, a dedicated Roku recruiter will reach out to you for an introductory call. Then you’ll speak with the Hiring Manager for the role. After that, we’ll ask you to do a 30- to 35-minute presentation to a panel of three or four interviewers. In this presentation, we’ll want you to walk us through a couple of projects you’ve done that you’re especially proud of. You’ll tell us what your role was, what your process was, what went well and what didn’t, how it turned out, and what you learned from it. Then you’ll have one-on-one meetings with each of the 3-4 interviewers, and that’s it! Throughout the process, your Roku recruiter will be there for you every step of the way.
We’d love to tell you more details about this role, the responsibilities you’ll have, and the products you’ll be working on – let’s talk!
More About Roku’s UX Team
Roku has become famous for making sure each feature and product is as perfect as it can be - just look at our remote control or user interface - while still pushing the boundaries of what it means to watch TV. In order to help ship features and products, you will partner with product management and engineering leaders to innovate and deliver features and capabilities across the Roku platform, while maintaining the integrity and cohesiveness of our user experience. Great candidates are comfortable with ambiguity, though that isn't code for "sloppy." Even when you aren't sure, you should move forward precisely and quickly knowing that action creates its own certainty. And because everyone here is empowered, your performance at Roku tends to come from getting others to embrace your idea. It's the most collaborative people who can drop their ego in service of their customers and create the win-win of success for our customers.
We believe that great user experiences come from people who have the vision to see the big picture on the macro side while still maintaining an incredible attention to detail on the micro side. More than ability to keep the vision while managing the minutiae: We need someone who can play three-dimensional chess on the axes of what our customers need, what our world-class engineers can produce, with the third axis being keeping things as elegantly easy as possible (and no more).
The Roku Culture
Roku is a great place for people who want to work in a fast-paced environment where everyone is focused on the company’s success rather than their own. We try to surround ourselves with people who are great at their jobs, who are easy to work with, and who keep their egos in check. We appreciate a sense of humor. We’re independent thinkers with big ideas who act boldly, move fast and accomplish extraordinary things through collaboration and trust. In short, at Roku you’ll be part of a company that’s changing how the world watches TV.
We have a unique culture that we are proud of. We think of ourselves primarily as problem-solvers, which itself is a two-part idea. We come up with the solution, but the solution isn’t real until it is impeccably designed, flawlessly built, and delivered to the customer. That penchant for action gives us a pragmatic approach to innovation, one that has served us well since 2002.
Meet our VP of UX! https://youtu.be/6E5kc2RrCg8
Check out what some of our current UX Designers have to say! https://youtu.be/sY03k1_Quk8