Why will you enjoy this new opportunity?
We are looking for a user experience designer to join our global team. As part of a highly collaborative group of creative problem solvers with a passion for innovation, you will build intuitive, and meaningful products in the space of cloud computing.
In this role you will collaborate with cross-functional product teams across the globe to create human-centered experiences. You will become comfortable engaging with customers, partners, and internal teams in both small and large group settings and be amazed at your opportunity for growth within a global technology organization.
Success in the Role:
What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
- Within the 30 days you will:
- Meet your immediate team and cross-functional partners,
- Get familiar with the tools and processes the design team leverages in day-to-day operations,
- Learn about te cloud computing and infrastructure industry,
- Learn the VMW vision, strategy and high-level product family
- Get familiar with our work-tracking tools
- Within 60 days you will
- Dig deeper into the specific product your team focuses on and how it connects to the rest of the ecosystem,
- Learn about the competitor space for your product and understand the existing designs created by your team
- Get familiar with our design and component systems
- Within 90 days you will
- Get familiar with accessibility guidelines and review processes
- Start contributing through designing smaller projects in collaboration with your design team
- Within 6 months you will
- Lead design for a specific area in your product and drive collaboration with your cross-functional partners
- Within 12 months you will
- Be a subject-matter expert in your area
- Will be collaborating across products to make sure user experience is aligned and consistent within the features you are working on
What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Closely collaborating with your design team as well as the product management and engineering teams to identify product vision and goals
- Partner with user experience researchers to talk directly with customers to understand their needs, goals, and motivations
- Conceptualize and define an end to end design strategy that supports customer needs and business goals. Ideate detailed stories and user flows illustrating the solution
- Closely collaborate with a geographically diverse design team to co-design while ensuring consistency across the suite of products and services
- Advocate user needs throughout the development lifecycle in an agile, iterative environment to ensure problem : solution fit
- Verify and improve on designs through reviews, validations and formal usability testing with end users
- Become a subject matter expert with the ability to understand the latest architecture, technology, solution, and market trends as well as competitive offerings related to cloud computing
- Define end to end workflows and analyzing user flows
- Communicate simple user stories illustrating solutions
- Create realistic, animated prototypes for your designs
- Working in a growing agile environment, constantly iterating on work and working through slower and faster cycles of delivery for new products and features
- Take ownership of your work and initiative to execute on ideas. You are expected to be self-motivated and self-reliant.
- SaaS or domain experience is bonus.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team like?
You will be part of the central design organization that reports to the VP of Design, under OCTO (Office of the CTO). You will work in a smaller team of 3-5 people with weekly check-ins with your direct manager, regular team meetings for the project as well as monthly all-hands with the larger design organization.
This job may require the candidate to travel and/or work from a facility that requires full vaccination prior to entry.
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.