A bit about Newfront:
From the Mayflower to the moon landing, every venture relies on insurance. The $1 trillion insurance industry is fundamental to our economy and society, but remains stuck in the stone age. Incumbents rely on antiquated pen-and-paper process and there's a huge opportunity to transform it through technology. At Newfront, we're building software to supercharge insurance brokers and help them deliver a delightful experience to clients.
While we’re a technology-driven company, we believe that people and trusted relationships matter. Newfront believes in empowering people rather than "disrupting" them. Our singular mission is to create the future of work for this massive industry.
About the role
You will lead the product design team, and will partner closely with the leadership team to drive our goals and deliver a world-class product.
What design looks like at Newfront
At Newfront we're building tools for our insurance brokers and a dashboard for our clients. The majority of the work today involves building the operating system that powers every workflow at the brokerage. We design products for 3 major user groups – our clients, brokers, and the servicing team.
Clients: Insurance is a complicated product that costs a lot, and the bigger your business is, the more difficult it can be to understand and purchase the right coverage. We want to make the purchasing experience transparent and understandable in order to give clients peace of mind. During the policy term, it should be quick and easy for them to request updates, make claims, pay, or otherwise get help from their servicing team.
Brokers: We help them turn leads into sales. Insurance brokers are like a sales team in a traditional SaaS company. They need a dashboard that clearly communicates the status of all of their clients, tracks their leads, shows their progress towards sales goals, and enables collaboration between them and the servicing team.
Servicing team: This team includes account managers and operations specialists responsible for providing stellar service to our clients. They are the backbone of the company since the quality and efficiency of their work directly translate into year-over-year retention of Newfront's clients.
We have a suite of products for these various user groups. The design challenges for each of them are significantly different, ranging from making insurance simple for our clients to creating power tools for insurance professionals. This position is open to remote candidates with a preference for those between the GMT-5 (Eastern EST) and GMT-8 (Pacific PST) timezones. #LI-Remote
What you'll be doing
- Collaborating with product managers and engineers on complex projects to prioritise, plan, and execute. You will work with Product Managers to conduct research and solidify project briefs, create mocks and prototypes, and work with engineering to clarify requirements and solve for technical constraints.
- Conducting and leading user research. The Newfront platform is the operational backbone of our business. You’ll be responsible for extracting insights from our users, identifying gaps and opportunities in their user experience, and designing solutions.
- Defining and communicating our vision: Designing and communicating mental models and conceptual designs that help us create a shared understanding of product problems, help us define our roadmap, and help to inspire the company.
- Designing across all teams and ensuring consistency and quality. Each product area has a roadmap that you are constantly keeping in mind and helping to validate. When you create designs for a milestone, you're used to looking ahead to make sure that your design direction will support future roadmap items.
- Building and maintaining the Newfront design system. Owning, reviewing, and managing the design system. Ability to work within an existing design system and creating new elements when needed.
- Defining our design process: Defining the design process used by all teams, including reviews, working sessions, and our approach to user research.
- Collaborate on defining the Newfront brand: You'll be able to collaborate with the rest of the company (marketing, leadership, sales) to define the Newfront brand.
What will make you a great fit
- Experience. You should have experience working as a design lead and helping to define the design direction for multiple teams.
- Independence: You thrive when given independence and ownership and feel incredible responsibility for maximizing the value your products and features give to our users. You are resourceful and confident enough to make mistakes, take feedback, and then iterate.
- Leadership: Capable of coaching teams through planning processes, collaborating cross-functionally, and prioritising impact.
- Portfolio. Showcase of web (native optional) projects that highlights your approach to problem solving, as well as the solutions themselves. Case studies should demonstrate your skills in research, user experience, systems design, visual design, and interaction design.
- Communication: Excellent communication and storytelling skills, in writing and in speaking. Ability to explain to crossfunctional peers your role and how best to work with design. You'll be helping to bring clarity to extremely ambiguous problems and the ability to create abstractions and communicate them with the broader team is vital.
- Understanding of web technologies: In order to collaborate with the rest of the team, projects run smoothly when the design team is able to create systems that take technical constraints into account. This could be as simple as understanding the asynchronous nature of the web and how to design around it.
- Timezone: This position is open to remote candidates with a preference for those between the GMT-5 (Eastern EST) and GMT-8 (Pacific PST) timezones.
What won't make you a great fit
- You're not interested in process building. We're specifically looking for someone to help establish the design discipline.
- You're not interested in B2B and internal tools. Some designers love working on tools, business processes, and workflows. We're trying to take something that is extremely complex (insurance) and make those workflows simple and efficient. This is where our focus lies right now. In the future we'll be revisiting the customer-facing experience.
Newfront is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Newfront provides reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.