Outschool's mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We believe the best way to do that is by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with others who share those interests, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own path. We provide small group classes that meet over live video chat where learners are connected with teachers and classmates who share their interests. These classes are offered through our marketplace and conducted on our remote learning platform.
Our business is growing explosively: 900,000+ learners have taken more than over 7M class hours. We've more than quadrupled our team since the beginning of 2020 from 25 to 118 to keep up with growth. We’ve raised $130M since founding with most of that still in the bank. With sales of over $100M in 2020, more than 10x growth over 2019. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative edtech company in the world and in the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
We're an experienced team with past accomplishments at Airbnb, Square, Apple, Uber, Udemy, Amazon, Google, and many startups. We came together because we wanted to make a difference in education and saw the opportunity to empower learners, teachers, and parents.
Now, in the face of mass school closures, our product and expertise have become central to many more families, teachers, and organizations than ever before. We're committed to access and impact, so we founded outschool.org to offer financial assistance to families in need.
We are looking for a user experience design intern to join our tight-knit design team. The ideal candidate should be pursuing an education in design, or have recently completed a program in design -- such as, but not limited to, a 4-year degree, UX boot camp, or a certification program.
You will be working with a mentor for 2-3 months to solve real-world user problems. You will gain hands-on experience with identifying user needs, user research, wireframing, high fidelity mockups, development hand-off, and more design processes and methods that we use at Outschool to deliver a great user experience. You will have access to support from the rest of the design team, product managers, user researchers, and software engineers.
At the end of your internship, you will have delivered designs that are on the roadmap to be implemented, created a presentation about your process, and have a case study ready for your portfolio. This internship program is intended as a hands-on practice opportunity. We cannot guarantee a full-time role at Outschool upon completion of the program.
- Assist in identifying user needs and business opportunities
- Produce wireframes, mockups, and prototypes for testing
- Assist in planning for, conducting, and synthesizing user research
- Iterate on your solutions based on feedback from designers, product managers, user researchers, and software engineers
- Participate in design team processes such as design critiques, sprint planning, and lunch and learns
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Pursuing a design-related education: either more than halfway through a multi-year program OR recently graduated from a program shorter than one year. For example, but not limited to, a junior majoring or minoring in Human-Computer Interaction at a 4-year college, or a second-year student in a 2-year product design technical school, or a recent graduate from a 3-month UX certification program
- Portfolio showcasing prior experience or coursework in user research, wireframing, high fidelity mockups, and demonstration of UX best practices
- Strong interest in user-centric experience design
- Strong interest in EdTech
- Familiarity with at least one design tool, such as Figma, Sketch, or Adobe Suite
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Prior experience in EdTech or Education
- Experience designing for the responsive web
BENEFITS AND ELIGIBILITY:
- Interns will be compensated at $20 USD per hour.
- As interns will have contractor status during their time at Outschool, they will not be eligible for benefits.
- Internship program length is 8 weeks full-time or 12 weeks part-time (at 20 hours per week).
- Outschool is a remote-first company! Interns may be located anywhere, but must be able to work 10am-5pm Eastern Time.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and a competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.