- 12 years of experience in UX Design.
- 3 years of experience managing or leading design teams.
- Portfolio of UX-focused work samples for web and mobile applications (see Google's portfolio tips).
- Experience balancing product, development, and user-centered goals to help shape overall product strategy.
- Experience working on a product from inception to shipment.
- Effectiveness in working across organizational boundaries to define, manage, and prioritize work.
- Excellent communication, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills; the ability to communicate complex interaction concepts clearly and persuasively across different audiences and varying levels of the organization.
About the job
At Google, we follow a simple but vital premise: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." Google’s UX leaders help define and drive the future of Google design. They create and clarify product strategy, conceptualize UX ecosystems in ways that mitigate complexity, and inspire teams to push the boundaries of what’s possible. They possess a clear vision of the future of user experience and have the courage to pursue forward-thinking design.
Google User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of UX Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers: we care deeply about the people who use our products. You are a thoughtful team leader, manager, systems-level design thinker, and visionary - with strong instincts and outstanding intuition informed by user needs and insights. You'll be responsible for guiding the careers of your team members, working closely with each of them to help them realize their full potential.
UX Design Managers are fierce advocates for the people who use our products as well as the members of their teams. They have a practiced eye for effective design, and are committed to creating elegantly simple user experiences from otherwise complex workflows.
In this role, you’ll take the time to understand not just the execution side of UX, but also the business aspects of the products we build. You’ll collaborate with leaders of other UX, Engineering, and Product Management teams to create innovative experiences across all of Google’s products, leveraging your passion for brand, craft, and design quality.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and beautiful products that people love. We strive to learn and understand our users’ needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our UX teams include designers, researchers, content strategists, and engineers who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work on collaborative teams to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products’ unique capabilities and personalities. Our work touches billions while exemplifying a key principle that is core to Google’s philosophy: “Focus on the user and all else will follow.”
(Colorado only*) Minimum salary of $174,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
*Note: Disclosure as required by sb19-085 (8-5-20) of the minimum salary compensation for this role when being hired into our offices in Colorado.
- Provide leadership, direction, and mentorship for a team of UX Designers; lead creative and holistic thinking across diverse product releases, platforms, and devices.
- Deliver a UX vision, along with a plan for evolutionary, iterative updates, that actualize the larger vision over time.
- Build strong relationships and operating rhythms with leaders inside and outside their core product team to efficiently implement user experiences that are cohesive, inclusive, and well-informed.
- Foster Google’s culture and principles within the group, while setting new standards in executional and operational excellence.
- Be responsible for and effectively advocate for users in a fast-paced, corporate climate, imparting day-to-day design leadership that fosters a shared understanding of the user-centric intersection between design, content, business, and engineering.