Are you interested in working on a cutting-edge business that understands and values your work and sees user experience, customer experience, and service design as key strategic priorities? Then join us as an Interaction Designer on the Database Platform design team!
Azure Cosmos DB is Microsoft’s next generation globally distributed, elastic scale, multi-model cloud database service - designed to enable developers to build planet scale applications. Azure Cosmos DB allows you to elastically scale both throughput and storage across any number of geographical regions with tunable consistency while providing blazing fast read /write performance backed by enterprise grade SLAs.
The Azure Database Platform design team is seeking an early-in-career designer to work on the end-to-end experiences of our database services including driving the vision of experiences in Azure Portal. The influence of this position spans from the graphical user experience layer deep into the underlying fabric of the database platform and its integrations with services throughout Microsoft and Azure.
You’ll design experiences that solve extremely complex interactions with elegance and simplicity. The role’s broad scope will give you ample room to flex your design muscles—both on projects that have immediate impact on the Cosmos DB business as well as explorations that shape our long-term strategy, vision and UX direction.
The company and team
At Microsoft, we have a clear mission and bold ambitions: Empower every person and every organization on the planet to achieve more through our technology and innovation.
Our vision as a Design Studio:
- Design experiences customers love.
- Work as a unified team.
- Deliver success.
- Become even better every day.
Cloud + Enterprise Design Studios ships business apps that meet the same usability, performance, and design standards as the very best consumer apps: The Azure cloud platform, Power BI, PowerApps, Flow, Stream, and many more. And as designers, our goal is to bring humanity and simplicity to every product we design. Cosmos DB is no exception.
You’re a UX designer who loves to learn, solve challenges, and dream up breakthrough ideas. You’ve proven the ability to build experiences for, and understand, extremely technical spaces. You’re a tireless advocate for the customer—enthusiastic about building and iterating on designs to discover what works best and applying your knowledge to create incredible software products. You're passionate about your interests, and you want to work on projects that will change the world for the better.
You understand how to bring a team together to solve difficult product and customer problems, fixing what's not quite right and smoothing the customer’s journey through the product. You find ways to reduce the number of screens, remove the extraneous, drive users to the next step, and shorten the path to “Wow!”
You’ll work in a focused team collaborating with fellow designers, content designers, visual and motion designers, qualitative researchers, data scientists, producers and your design lead. Bouncing ideas around, formulating plans, and charting the path forward is your jam as much as any solo design time.
You're fluent at communicating with product managers and developers as well as influencing your team and studio to simplify, integrate, and co-create successful customer experiences that work together. And you’re comfortable influencing others around how we all want the same thing, what that thing is, and why you think the team has landed a solution customers will love.
- Create and assess design solutions based on user research data, user goals, and business requirements
- Produce designs that illustrate optimal user experiences; deliverables may include storyboards, flows, wireframes, prototypes, and vision pieces
- Work closely and constructively with product management, visual and interaction designers, engineers, and user researchers to iterate and deliver flawlessly
- Advocate for your design solutions by putting them in context of business and user goals
- Bachelor's Degree in Design (or related field) or equivalent professional experience
- 3+ years of industry experience in interactive design and/or visual design
- Demonstrated breadth across Information Architecture, Usability, Interaction, and Visual Design
- Ability to create well-structured design prototypes, mockups, and other communication artifacts
- The ability to quickly turn around wireframes and mockups in an iterative environment
- The ability to scope and estimate efforts accurately and prioritize tasks and goals independently
- Experience creating and applying design principles and interaction patterns
- Proficiency in a variety of design tools such as Figma Photoshop, Illustrator, and/or Sketch
- Ability to travel for work on occasion
- Experience designing user experiences for enterprise software/services
- Experience with project management and design process
This team supports our employees in all locations around the country. This position can be 100% remote or based in one of our hubs.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.
We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.