Roku is changing how the world watches TV
Roku is the #1 TV streaming platform in the U.S., and we’ve set our sights on powering every television in the world. Roku pioneered streaming to the TV. Our mission is to be the TV streaming platform that connects the entire TV ecosystem. We connect consumers to the content they love, enable content publishers to build and monetize large audiences, and provide advertisers unique capabilities to engage consumers.
From your first day at Roku, you'll make a valuable — and valued — contribution. We're a fast-growing public company where no one is a bystander. We offer you the opportunity to delight millions of TV streamers around the world, while gaining meaningful experience across a variety of disciplines.
About the role
Roku is looking for a seasoned Interaction Designer who can craft easy-to-use and delightful product experiences for the Roku Mobile App – an app used by millions to control their Roku devices as well as discover and stream content. Help us raise our App & Play store rankings from 4.5 to 4.9 stars!
You will partner with product management and engineering teams to innovate and deliver new features and designs for the Roku Mobile App, helping to shape the future of this core component of Roku’s overall experience and strategy.
Roku has become famous for making sure each feature and product is as perfect as it can be – just look at our remote control or user interface – while still pushing the boundaries of what it means to watch TV. Outstanding user experiences come from people who have the vision to see the big picture while maintaining an incredible attention to detail -- partnering with Product Management and internalizing short-term and long-term business goals; understanding Engineering capabilities and constraints; and applying your own user-centered design skills and expertise to bring the best possible experience to the users of these critical operational tools.
Great candidates are comfortable with ambiguity, though that isn't code for "sloppy." Even when you aren't sure, you should move forward precisely and quickly knowing that action creates its own certainty. And because everyone here is empowered, your performance at Roku tends to come from getting others to embrace your idea. It's the most collaborative people who can drop their ego to create the win-win of success for our customers.
What you’ll be doing
- Partner with product managers, engineers, and cross-functional stakeholders to understand requirements and provide creative, thoughtful solutions for experiences with the Roku Mobile App.
- Create mobile-first designs by combining the capabilities of mobile devices, knowledge of mobile best practices and an understanding of our mobile users
- Explore a variety of design directions, analyzing the pros and cons of each, to arrive at creative, thoughtful design solutions
- Design holistically to create a cohesive and coherent product experience, utilizing design patterns
- Communicate the user experience at various stages of the design process with wireframes, flow diagrams, storyboards, mockups, specs, and/or lightweight prototypes
- Balance qualitative and quantitative data to make user-centered design decisions
- Conduct and participate in design reviews with a range of stakeholders across the organization
- Iterate designs based on user feedback and business needs
- Advocate for prioritization of changes, refinements, and improvements to the user experience
We’re excited if you have
- 3+ years of relevant industry experience as an interaction designer
- Experience designing Mobile Apps for both iOS and Android platforms
- Experience designing for multiple screen sizes of phones and tablets
- Understanding of the Human Interface Guidelines and Material Design Guidelines
- Proficiency with design tools like Figma, Sketch or Framer to create user interfaces
- Experience collaborating with teams of designers, researchers, product managers, and engineers throughout the design process and creating artifacts to document the design and user experience
- Excellent communication, facilitation, presentation, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills and relentless attention to detail
- Strong project management skills with the ability to define, plan, and lead projects forward
- Comfort operating in a highly dynamic environment and the ability to thrive navigating ambiguity and solving complex problems
- Portfolio highlighting multiple Mobile App projects demonstrating user-centered design solutions with measurable outcomes (include online portfolio link with resume)
- Relevant Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD in areas such as Human Factors, HCI, Cognitive Science, Psychology, etc.