Research at Stripe
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet and expand economic access globally. We’re designing tools and infrastructure to help our users start, run, and scale an online business from anywhere in the world. We believe there are too many barriers to doing business on the internet, and that opportunities are not equally distributed throughout the world. We also think building and growing a business online is a problem rooted in code, language, and design—not finance.
That’s where you come in: we’re looking for an experienced UX Research Manager to join our growing UX Research team to help build, coach, and mentor a growing and highly skilled group of researchers.
About UX Research and the role
The UX Research team is part of Stripe’s Design team and works across many types of brand and product initiatives at Stripe to more effectively and efficiently deliver products and experiences that fulfill user needs. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
In addition to conducting primary research, we also enable other Stripes (engineers, product managers, designers, operations, etc.) to learn and apply research skills to global problems. You will play a role in shaping how we build research as a core competency across Stripe and define how we put users first when conducting research.
As a UX Research Manager, you will deploy your experience in people management with your research expertise and lead a team that collaborates closely with product teams to build insight-driven user and product experiences. This is a full-time role based in Seattle, New York, or remote in North America.
- Lead, manage, coach, and mentor a team of researchers executing mixed-methods research across the product development process for several of Stripe’s product pillars.
- Disseminate research insights to evolve and enhance Stripe’s understanding of user needs and identify innovative opportunities to meet those needs.
- Grow the team to meet Stripe’s needs while also developing your individual contributors so they deliver impactful and actionable research studies.
- Collaborate with Design and Stripe leadership to determine how to best leverage user research at Stripe and deepen our understanding of our users.
- Work in a highly collaborative fashion as a strategic partner to business leads, product managers, design leaders, and Stripe leadership to define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our products by grounding these decisions in user needs and insights.
- Prioritize research needs and approaches across multiple work streams to work on the right project, scale, and scope at the right time and ensure impact by delivering actionable insights.
- Enable other Stripes to learn and apply research skills by building research programs, platforms, and toolkits that empower them to conduct tactical research.
- Partner closely with other researchers to build out Stripe’s research practice and infrastructure including sourcing research vendors to augment the work of your team.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- You have directly managed, coached, and developed a team of user researchers and have experience recruiting and building research teams.
- Have 7+ years relevant user research experience working on digital experiences and specialize in generating actionable insights that drive impact; with a plus if your work includes developer-focused, B2B or enterprise products.
- You have 4+ years of people management and leadership experience.
- You excel at motivating and inspiring people to do their best work.
- Can conduct complex research at scale and demonstrate the use of a variety of research methods, which may include qualitative interviews, surveys, ideation sessions, ethnographic field research, usability evaluation, and diary studies.
- You enjoy conducting your own primary research while also mentoring and inspiring a team of user researchers as they hone their craft and engage in research.
- Have excellent written and verbal communication skills and use them to effectively roll out large scale research programs.
- Relentlessly focus on users and solving for their needs and wants. You put users first and have experience driving impact from insights.
- Can successfully set and achieve priorities that find the perfect balance between benefiting the project, the Research team, and all of Stripe.
- Understand the balance between scrappy and rigor, and ultimately how research translates into design, product, and business decisions. Can balance working with urgency and focus and adapt methodological rigor as needed for the situation.
- You’ve built or scaled research platforms, systems, or programs at your workplace.
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- A written description of why you’re interested in this role and examples of how you’ve exemplified the qualities listed above in your previous work experience.