Job Description And Responsibilities
We are The Visa Garage. We are building the next multibillion businesses at Visa
The Visa Garage is a unique entity at Visa, responsible for the exploration, incubation and launch of new business ventures. We operate independently to rapidly build, test, iterate, and scale ventures quickly. We are a team of entrepreneurs, designers, engineers, product developers and creators looking to build ambitious new ventures.
The team is looking for a highly motivated individual who would like to have a large impact within a disruptive company. The Visa Garage Product / UX Designer will support the ongoing incubation of multiple new business ventures within the Visa Garage including, uncovering intangible attitudes, behaviors, and motivations that drive people’s choices and desires, to developing impactful venture/business opportunities and platforms through empathetic design thinking.
You will leverage knowledge of Product & Service delivery to ensure that these ventures are produced to their strategic intent. You will work collaboratively with lean teams composed of Entrepreneurs in Residence, Product Managers, and full-stack developers in an entrepreneurial environment.
This position is best suited for a flexible, action-oriented person who is self-driven and thrives in ambiguous settings.
The Visa Garage is a start-up within Visa and a fast paced team that requires leaders that can inspire, coach others as well as be hands-on doers. You will be part of a highly collaborative environment
under a unified mission.
You will be an inspiring person and part of a fellowship. We will be ramping up quickly so if you want to be on the ground floor in building something incredible, this opportunity is for you.
You will be responsible for:
- Design, develop and guide ethnographic research sprints and contextual design investigations to understand customer behaviors, pain points, needs and aspirations
- Work with design researchers to conduct qualitative and quantitative research investigations that help strategically frame, validate or challenge other forms of research
- Introduce trends and exemplars across a variety of emerging technologies
- Bring your research to life through personas, customer journeys, insight-opportunity frameworks, system maps, stories, and scenarios
Ideation of concepts
- Lead concept sessions leveraging ethnographic research and design thinking
- Plan, facilitate and produce deliverables from design thinking workshops
- Contribute unique ideas within multidisciplinary workshops, meetings and immersion sessions and bring them to life through visual communication and strong written narratives leveraging your immersive, story-telling skills
- Use divergent design thinking techniques for the conceptual development of products, services and/or physical connected form-factors
- Converge innovative ideas to a set of digital and tangible products, services and/or physical connected form-factors in partnership with venture architects, product managers and engineering teams
Collaborative design and prototyping
- Deliver concepts, personas, user journeys, storyboards, system maps, user flows, wireframes, visual design comps, and prototypes with Figma, Adobe CS, InVision, and other tools
- Plan and lead usability tests, as well as a full spectrum of generative, iterative, and evaluative design research activities, including surveys, interviews, tree tests and card sorting
- Propose and execute on UX research roadmaps
- Develop brand guidelines, online advertising, and websites
- Partner with engineering to ensure designs are properly implemented
Communication and reporting
- Communicate design ideas using techniques, including product concepts, service models, customer journeys, industrial designs, system maps and/or infographics
- Monitor and report on design KPIs
Build a Strong Team Culture
- Commitment to be part of an inclusive and collaborative team that values innovative and intellectually curious individuals
- Contribute to creating a team culture that amplifies the Visa Garage’s mandate, champions innovation and embraces a startup mentality
This is a hybrid position. Hybrid employees can alternate time between both remote and office. Employees in hybrid roles are expected to work from the office two days a week, Tuesdays and Wednesdays with a general guidepost of being in the office 50% of the time based on business needs.
8 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or at least 5 years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 2 years of work experience with a PhD
9 or more years of relevant work experience with a Bachelor’s Degree or 7 or more relevant years of experience with an Advanced Degree (e.g. Masters, MBA, JD, MD) or 3 or more years of experience with a PhD
• Experience with ethnographic research (quantitative and qualitative), divergent exploration, conceptual development, and craft of design (industrial / graphic / behavior / HCI, etc.) Examples:
o Experience working on web and mobile products in a design research capacity
o Expertise in visual design, brand management, and prototyping tools such as Figma, Adobe CS, and Zeplin
• Strong ability to convey concepts through storyboards, user flows, user journeys, wireframes, prototypes, etc.
• Ability to communicate the process, approach, and impact of your design in verbal and visual presentation
• Experience working in a corporate setting or for an agency driving digital transformation work.
• Portfolio of diverse range of projects and work demonstrating:
o Human centered design capabilities
o Design Thinking approach to problem solving
o Prototyping and testing skills
o Future visioning and strategy development
o Behavior design methodologies, marketing content strategy and/or operations process design
o Story telling ability in distilling complex narratives for different audiences
• Ability to absorb and process large amounts of information and synthesize into key insights
• Demonstrable ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, is able to ruthlessly prioritize and identify the most important item to focus on
• High aptitude to learn quickly, assimilate to new teams and projects, and work well under pressure with appropriate attention to detail
• Organized and comfortable creating and executing workplans
• Strong EQ and presence, and ability to collaborate cross-functionally with people from various teams and various backgrounds
• Must be self-motivated, have a bias-to-action, and be comfortable with ambiguity
• Enthusiastic work ethic and able to solve problems with balance of independence and well-solicited input
• Ability to inspire and influence those around you, even without direct management responsibility, proven success influencing senior stakeholders, and decision makers
• Intellectual curiosity a must, payments or technology industry knowledge and cross-border transaction experience a significant plus
• Passionate about what you do and fired up about the opportunity to launch and scale new businesses
• Be SWAN: Smart, Works Hard, Ambitious and Nice!
Visa has adopted a COVID-19 vaccination policy to safeguard the health and well-being of our employees and visitors. As a condition of employment, all employees based in the U.S. are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved or as otherwise required by law.
Work Hours: Varies upon the needs of the department.
Travel Requirements: This position requires travel 5-10% of the time.
Mental/Physical Requirements: This position will be performed in an office setting. The position will require the incumbent to sit and stand at a desk, communicate in person and by telephone, frequently operate standard office equipment, such as telephones and computers.
Visa is an EEO Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Visa will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with EEOC guidelines and applicable local law.
Visa will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable local law, including the requirements of Article 49 of the San Francisco Police Code.