Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Mountain View, CA, USA; Atlanta, GA, USA; Kirkland, WA, USA; New York, NY, USA; San Francisco, CA, USA.
- Bachelor's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 4 years of experience in product design or UX.
- Experience implementing visual design systems across platforms in an iterative software development environment, applying design tools (e.g. Figma, Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketch).
- Portfolio highlighting multiple projects and your direct contributions.
- Master's degree in Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Computer Science, a related field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 2 years of experience working in a complex, cross-functional organization.
- 1 year of experience leading design projects.
- Problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile (Android and iOS).
- Ability to communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale within a user-centered design process.
- Skills in communicating and influencing product design strategy.
About the job
At Google, we follow a simple but vital premise: "Focus on the user and all else will follow." Google’s Visual Designers weave space, typography, color, iconography, and texture together to help people successfully navigate our products. We believe that all of our products should be beautiful and accessible.
Google User Experience (UX) is made up of multi-disciplinary teams of UX Designers, Researchers, Writers, Content Strategists, Program Managers, and Engineers: we care deeply about the people who use our products.
The UX team plays an integral part in gathering insights about the behaviors and perceptions of people who use our products to inspire and inform design. We collaborate closely with each other and with engineering and product management to create industry-leading products that deliver value for the people who use them, and for Google’s businesses.
As a Visual Designer, you’ll rely on user-centered design methods to craft industry-leading user experiences—from concept to execution. Like all of our UX jobs, you’ll collaborate with your design partners to leverage and evolve the Google design language to build beautiful, innovative, inspired products that people love to use.
Google Play offers music, movies, books, apps and games for devices, powered by the cloud. It syncs across devices and on the web. As part of the Android and Mobile team, Googlers working on Google Play do everything from engineering our backend systems, to shaping product strategy, to forming great content partnerships. They make it possible for people to do things like buy an ebook or song on their Android phone, then have it instantly available on their laptop. The Google Play team enhances the Android ecosystem by giving developers and partners a premium store where they can reach millions of users.
- Mature and evolve the notion of framework by collaborating with other leads to form a cohesive offering across Google products.
- Work across programs to define, maintain, and evolve the tools, processes, and communication around asset management.
- Leverage principal contributors to explore concept development to influence product, a point-of-view around visual style, and product commitments.
- Defend Google products, our brand promise, and its unique value prop amid an interlaced relationship with Google’s master brand.
- Partner with visual programs within our organization to evolve and apply new design styles and aesthetics for our suite of products.
Google is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. See also Google's EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know by completing our Accommodations for Applicants form.