ABOUT OUR COMPANY
Kanopi Studios is a Design, Development & Support Agency with a fully distributed team of people who are experts in Drupal & WordPress.
Our clients have a mission; we design, build and support websites that help their mission thrive.
But we want our employees to thrive as well. Because our team members do great work for great clients, Kanopi works hard to support them in their career as they continue to create a better web.
As a result, our business continues to grow, and so must our team. We’re excited to announce this opportunity to join our team as a Web Visual Designer.
ABOUT THE JOB
As a Web Visual Designer, you help with the design of website interfaces for our clients. You will also be asked to contribute your design expertise to the Kanopi Studios website and other marketing and communications materials used to promote the company. You will work closely with Kanopi’s teams to design/create beautiful frontend experiences and tackle complex problems in a fun and team-oriented environment.
You will create stunning deliverables like mood boards, pattern libraries, full layouts, user interfaces, using a strategic approach based on agreed-upon goals, user stories, and any other discovered input from the Kanopi team and clients.
You have a deep understanding of the opportunities and limitations of the web medium, as well as information flow, accessibility, readability, and interface usability principles to create design solutions that are not only visually beautiful but also translate into highly functional, legible, and easy to use web pages and user interfaces.
This position reports to Jessica Skewes, Director of Experience.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Create responsive website designs (mobile-first)
- Participate in client meetings and workshops, leading visual design conversations
- Contribute to website visual design direction and collaboration with the creative services team
- Review designs with the internal project team to ensure: the goals of the strategy are communicated visually, that visuals are on brand and meet the clients’ needs, and that your work is estimated and delivered within the client’s budget and timeline
- Anticipate and flag issues, requests, or other factors that could alter the project’s scope of work, budget, timelines, etc.
- Provide final files in an appropriate format to themers. Answer questions that may arise in the process of executing designs
- Contribute to process enhancements within the visual design discipline
- Assist in the overall process of making the company awesome by building repeatable patterns for success and happiness.
- Most importantly, have fun working with an incredible team!
ABOUT THE COMPENSATION & WORK REQUIREMENTS
This is a contract position. Hourly compensation is commensurate with experience. Not to worry. The pay is competitive and what you’d expect for this role. This is a 100% remote role, but you must live and be able to work in North America.
NOW... LET'S TALK ABOUT YOU!
We are looking for candidates who…
- Have 5+ years of professional experience in web design
- Have 3+ years of experience working within an agency setting, preferably working remotely or with a distributed project team
- Have experience using Sketch or Figma
- Have experience directly interacting with clients
- Have experience working with distributed project teams
- Are responsive and flexible, managing multiple projects in a rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrate strong proactive problem-solving capabilities
- Are eager to learn and adapt to new applications and frameworks, and to work on exciting and innovative technologies.
- Are committed to delivering high-quality work on time with the ability to manage workflow proactively
- Have experience creating mood boards, pattern libraries, layered design mockups for responsive theme implementation, and the infographics, iconography, and other visual assets needed to support projects and tasks
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to collaborate in a multi-time zone environment
- Experience with Agile methodologies including Scrum is a plus
- Experience with mission-driven and nonprofit clients is a plus
- Have a passion for the web, open-source development, and working with a community of fun, humorous folks!
At Kanopi, we believe a variety of backgrounds, experiences, and voices make for a better workplace. We strongly and enthusiastically encourage people of color, individuals who identify within and beyond the LGBTQ+ spectrum, women, and people with disabilities to apply.
If you think this post was written just for you, here’s what to do next:
- Submit your resume and a link to your portfolio.
- Answer the questions you see here on this page.
- Send us a cover letter.
Now… About that cover letter… This is VERY important!
Please include all of the typical reasons why you’d be an outstanding candidate for this position, plus answer this question: What is your favorite piece of technology?
Our screening process takes a bit of time, because we like to ensure that you are the perfect fit for us, and we are the perfect fit for you! After we’ve taken a look at your application, we will send you a series of questions that will help us get to know you better. From there, you will engage in several interviews with members of our team, and a skills assessment or two in order to take a look at how you do the things you do! Some candidates may even do a mini-project, depending on the role you are interviewing for. We’ll be happy to explain a bit more once we’re in the interview stage.
Please note - we try to make an effort to contact every applicant to let you know the status of your application, but we are human, so if you don’t hear from us, drop us a line!
Fully Remote: Work where and when you do your best. It’s about feeling connected to others, having a flexible schedule and staying healthy.
Top Talent: Since we are not limited by walls, our ability to hire the best is limitless. Collaborate, learn and surround yourself with a strongly skilled and diverse team.
Travel: Love to see the world? So do we. Just find a place with good wifi, get connected and make great work happen!
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by those assigned to this classification. This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by those occupying this position. The job description and job functions described herein are subject to possible modification by Kanopi Studios in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.
No agencies, recruiters or applicants outside of the US or Canada.